View Single Post
      01-09-2016, 02:48 PM   #29
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCK2BLN View Post
...Like I said everyone's perception of the brand is different, this is just my opinion, you may feel differently, but this is based on my experiences.
I don't run a BMW wearing any tinted glasses, under no illusions whatsoever. I had a new M62 engine in an E39 540i, at 65k miles, so know all too well the drill for premature failures.

But I wouldn't say all M62 engines were like mine. My neighbour is still running a 1998 E39 535i with the 3.5 M62 engine, now at over 300,000 miles without any engine work. It is one of the sweetest and quiet running M62 engines I've ever come across. Used nearly every day and is virtually silent from start up. Incidentally it is still on the original auto gearbox.

Back to my engine... it is where an extended warranty comes into play. I've had enough experience in the motor industry to always run under some form of warranty. In the UK, BMW warrant a new car for 3-years/60k miles. When we extend with the insured warranty, it typically has a change in terms above 60k miles for some wear and tear items, and at the 100k miles mark, where more exclusions apply. Understandably so.

My 540i was under the comprehensive extended warranty, (I'd not run a BMW out of warranty these days, far too complex), therefore nothing to pay whatever the cause of the fault. BMW's UK engine guru scoured the BMW world data base to try and identify my engine issue, as the common issues did not apply. Turns out there was no other M62 identified with my issues, when they opened up the engine, to find where the noise was coming from. Appeared a unique fault, possibly due to oil starvation, but totally unexplained. (Personally I think it ran lean and hot on one cylinder). The UK engine guy assured me that they'd fit a new engine if necessary, if repairs were not a solution. A new 'long block' engine was fitted.

Has the experience put me off the brand? Dented my loyalty a bit, not enough to move on, even with other issues in my BMWs. Still in a BMW over 10-years on.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0