View Single Post
      01-09-2016, 03:18 PM   #30
visualguy
Captain
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
In general, BMW's V8 engines have been some of the most costly to maintain, and they're historically some of the most troubled. This isn't new with the N63 - there's a reason why the inline-6 is known as their bread-and-butter. But, in their defense, I'd also say they're not bad as far as luxury brands go. Want truly troubled? Try owning a Land Rover. And yet so many people, despite the reputation of mechanical issues, continue to do so - a trade-off for owning a vehicle, that when it DOES work properly, can do things like no other. But if someone's goals were pure reliability, I'd never direct them towards BMW... nor nearly any German luxury brand, since the brand's primary mission is sporting performance, innovation, luxury, and technology... and if they can make it all decently reliable at the same time, great, but reliability has never been the hallmark like it is with mainstream Japanese brands.
I think car manufacturers should not continue to sell cars with an engine that's known to have significant problems. It's not fair to have a "buyer beware" policy where buyers need to research the engine, and decide if they want to deal with its problems or not. Also, the manufacturer typically knows about the issues long before they are all over the Internet.

Indeed, durability and reliability aren't top design goals for these luxury German cars. For example, they keep producing engines that are known to have carbon buildup problems. However, there is a big difference between that type of problem, and the situation with the N63 engines.
Appreciate 0