View Single Post
      05-08-2014, 03:56 AM   #35
Bernz70
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i F10

Brake pad replacement on 2011 528i F10

The fronts are super easy, especially if you are not resurfacing the rotors. I just changed out both my front and my back brake pads to ceramic. I was reading some other posts about needing to hook up the car to the BMW computer to reset the rear brakes because they are electronic or something. Totally Hogwash. All you have to do is remove the two torx screws on the caliper and slide out the caliper assembly holding the pads. The pads just literally pop out right after. Then there is a black rounded piece attached to the calipers that you need to unscrew...again two more torx screws. Once you remove this black cover, it has a female "gear" on the inside of cover. Use this as a wrench to rotate the male gear on the inside CLOCKWISE until it stops. Another poster said rotate counter clockwise....Do Not Do it! The caliper piston will be pushed totally out. Once you rotate clockwise until it stops, then you can use a conventional tool to compress piston inward to fit in the pads. I always use a large C clamp. After that, install pads and reassemble everything back. Then just start the car and pump the brakes to build up pressure and test the parking brake a few times. Easy Peasy!
Appreciate 2