View Single Post
      05-13-2010, 09:43 PM   #3
SleepTight
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Option 322 Comfort Access keyless entry allows you to both unlock and start your car while still keeping your key in your pocket. You open the door by touching the door handle with the key in range. You start the car by simply putting your foot on the brake and pressing start. If you get out of the car while it is running with the key in your pocket, the car will continue to run but a warning message will appear indicating that the key is out of range.

The feature is standard on many cars that sell for far less than the 2011 BMW 535, but BMW plans to get $1000 for the privilege. I have the option in my 2008 535xi and I would never purchase a car without the feature however, outside of BMW/Mercedes/Porsche land, the feature is very likely to be standard.

The option is also included in the ZCV Convenience Package ($1700) which adds a power tailgate and soft close doors to the keyless entry.

It is important to keep in mind that, in contrast to the Convenience Package, Comfort Access is a Priority One option. Which means that BMW dealers cannot order the stand-alone Comfort Access option for their own unallocated inventory and can only order the option with a signed order from a customer. For you that means that you are going to be waiting an additional 8-12 weeks for your car if still want to keep your key in your pocket, but are not lazy enough to view shutting your own doors and trunk as a hardship worth an extra $700 to avoid.

Oh and BMW does make a car with the ZCV Convenience Package standard, it's the 2011 750/760. Purchasers ponying up $70k for a 2011 740 also must purchase the Convenience Package as a separate $1700 option just like the lowly 535/550 purchaser.

Last edited by SleepTight; 05-13-2010 at 09:52 PM..
Appreciate 0