06-19-2011, 07:58 PM   #46
blackberrycubed
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSteve View Post
It's actually pretty easy to install, except for the MAP sensor. Your option with that one is to either remove the airbox or spend a frustrating period of time trying to get at it with the airbox in place. I wasn't interested in taking my airbox out just for this install, so I went ahead and installed it with the airbox in the way.

First I pulled the airbox up as high as I could by hand, then stuffed a tall, empty plastic water bottle in to hold it up. Then I lifted up the tubes of cables that are strapped to the side of the airbox and moved them out of the way. With the cables out of the way, it's not that hard to slide a thin butter knife or something in there from the side to unclip the original cable from the sensor.

At this point, no matter how frustrating it is, you will motivate yourself to get the JB3 cable in place because your car is now undriveable until you do. I put a blanket across the top of my engine and laid on top of it so I could get into a good position to slide my hand in there and wrestle with getting everything in place. If you have a set of long needle-nose pliers or something like that, it might be easier. Or, if you have small hands, it might not be hard to do it by hand.

In any case, now that i have it installed, I don't plan on messing with it until my next visit to the dealer in 6,000 miles or so. This isn't something you want to do very often. The top photo is a view of the MAP sensor partially tucked underneath the back of the airbox. The second photo is a view from the side after propping up the airbox and moving the attached cables out of the way.
Thanks for posting the pic and giving those tips, it helped alot when I did the MAP sensor. I now have it installed and no codes but do not know where to hide the jb3 brain unit. Where did you put yours and how did you get to that location? You got any pics?

Thanks in Advance.
Appreciate 0