View Single Post
      04-24-2010, 08:36 AM   #3
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acquarian View Post
The website www.honestjohn.co.uk praises the virtues of the F10 but advise against using the 19" wheels, ...but why?...maybe the ride to bumpy?....well he does not elaborate.
I've commented on the difference in ride quality on different wheel sizes in other threads. I found the 18" wheels (Dunlop Sport Maxx RFT) let more road imperfections through to the car, (530d) than the other car (535i) with 19" Pirelli RFTs. The 19" were a slightly firmer ride, but the whole car was more composed, even on poor surfaces.

The 535i which had 19" wheels, was tried by the garage with a set of 20", which both a customer and the sales guy found made the ride awful. So the 19" set were put back on the car.

My dealer principal has the opinion, through his experience, the 19" give the better all round ride.

I still think there is more to this wheel issue and the varied comments coming back to us, than just the sizing. I'm still minded that the exact tyre make and spec will at least, be partly responsible for the opinion. Also the ambient temperature, when tests were conducted. Just it has been over the past 5-years or so, on other RFT shod BMWs.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0