View Single Post
      08-06-2015, 02:17 AM   #4
valbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW F10 M5 CP 600 hp

OK I see. My car came with 18" 350M with ContiSport3 RFT from factory as they were a part of M Sport package. We have summer and winter here, so I sold the RFT tires immediately, got these 20" wheels for summer and another set of serious winter tires 255/45-18 for the 350M. So if you will need to see how 255 look on 8.5" and 9" wide rims, I can take pics.

I would like to drag your attention to the following two things.
First, the 7-series wheels don't work well for the 5-series: they have different specs so handling will get worse and aesthetically they will look weird. Don't know about fitment issues with the diameter, but speedometer will show incorrectly, at least.
Second, running all-seasons will save you some money, but in this case you have permanent below-medium handling quality, because thread design and temperature properties of rubber must fit very tightly every season's conditions.

This is not just for fun the most of owners have high performance summer wheels and something easier for the colder season, except the lucky folks from the very south who need just one wheel set.

Maybe we should discuss in more details why you link tire size and ride being rough, this sounds something new to me. The whole forum is fighting against the F10's floaty and soft suspension and low steering feedback as a consequence of bloody green technologies (eco pro, electric steering etc.) The only reason of feeling the wheels as rough is RFT tires but this subject is simple: everybody are getting rid of them.

Having said that, I understand you have your own plan and style. However having a single set of cheaper all-seasons with wrong specs doesn't look a good way of improving ride quality and handling. I would recommend you to check one more option: good summer tires for your current 20" rims. Here the set of 245/35, 275 or 285/30 looks probably the best.
Appreciate 0