07-31-2010, 10:39 AM   #7
ibimmer954
Major
Rep
Drives: '23 i4 M50, '15 M3, '18 911

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjando View Post
What does the HUD display? Besides the speed and speed limiter setting, I understand that it shows the FM or AM station that you are tuned to. It this correct? Also how much of the navigation prompts does it displays?
Page 124 of the owner's manual shows the capabilities of the HUD. The 2011 5-series owner's manual is online at bmwusa.com.

The items the HUD displays are:
  • Lane Departure warning
  • Active Cruise Control setting
  • Cruise Control desired speed
  • Navigation instructions
  • Current Speed (updates around 2-3 times per second)
  • Check Control warning messages

The Nav display is nice. There is one arrow showing you which direction to drive. It will also show you the name of the street of the next turn and how far away it is. Once you get close to the intersection, it will show a display of which lane to be in.

Normally, when cruise is off and you aren't using the Nav all you will see is your current speed. The point of the Nav is that you can leave your eyes on the road instead of looking down at the dash. And I find it does exactly that. Anyone that says "well, all you have you to do is look down at the screen to see the Nav instructions" is missing the point. The point is looking down means taking your eyes off the road. I like the HUD more than I thought I would!

Yes, with polarized sunglasses the HUD will be more difficult to see. But only one pair of sunglasses I have are polarized, and I don't use them very often.
Appreciate 0