03-19-2013, 11:15 PM   #2
ibimmer954
Major
Rep
Drives: '23 i4 M50, '15 M3, '18 911

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs600 View Post
Considering having my car detailed (compounded) for the first time, but have some questions:

1. Is it true that any amount of compounding removes some clear coat? If so, is the amount truly negligible or does removing any amount make the paint more susceptible? (detailing / compounding / waxing is not something I do / plan to do on a regular basis)
Yes, compounding will remove some clear coat. The idea is to remove enough clear coat to reduce the depth of the scratches in the clear coat.

Quote:

2. Will compounding leave buffer / hologram marks, and if so, do detailers use ‘glaze’ to (temporarily) cover up same, such that I wouldn’t realize same until a few weeks later, when the ‘glaze’ wears off? (I can ask the detailer what their practices are, but who’s to say I’d receive an honest answer)
Yes, if the detailer is not experienced or doesn't do the job properly, it can leave buffer trails or marks. And, yes, those marks can be temporarily covered up by a glaze that could wear off.

Quote:
P.S.: I’d use a reputable local shop that’s been around for a long time and details all types of cars, high end exotics included.
Doesn't matter... they could still leave your car to the "new guy" who could screw it up.

Unfortunately, there's no easy answer here. It's possible to do the job right. And it's possible to screw it up badly. The only advice I can give is to look for reviews from others that had work done at the shop you are thinking about.

There are dedicated auto detailer websites out there where you can get more reviews. Or maybe look at the detailing section of the *post websites. I think one of the website sponsors is in the New York area.
Appreciate 0