Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Arrow BMW F10 528xi and 535i Hybrid Scheduled to Debut This Fall

BIMMERPOST NEWS
BMW F10 528xi and 535i Hybrid Scheduled to Debut This Fall
COMMENTS

The AWD xi version of the 528i, along with a hybrid version of the 535i will be both be debuting this fall in the US market.

The 528xi will begin production for the US in September and like the 2012 528i (which will also begin production in September) it will begin its life being powered by BMW's N20 4-cylinder turbocharged engine with 240hp / 260lb-ft tq (more details).

The F10 lineup will also see a hybrid model for the first time with the 535i ActiveHybrid, which begins production in December of this year. The 535i ActiveHybrid will be powered by the N55 turbo six cylinder motor (which makes 306hp in the 535i), mated to an electric motor making 54 more horsepowers. We expect it to come in the Bluewater Metallic seen in the earlier spy photos below, a signature color for BMW hybrid vehicles. The prototype pictured below is likely not showing the final body work as there will be unique wheels and bumper styling.

For a full breakdown of the production schedule for the entire 2012 5-series model lineup, please see the following chart.

Name:  f10-m5-528xi-535xi.jpg
Views: 22513
Size:  128.9 KB

More info on 535i ActiveHybrid (from BMW's description of the F10 ActiveHybrid Concept)
Quote:
The drive system featured in the BMW Concept 5 Series ActiveHybrid consists of a straight-six gasoline engine with TwinPower Turbo technology, eight-speed automatic transmission, and electric drive. Integration of BMW ActiveHybrid technology in a sedan already extremely efficient with its “conventional” combustion engine reduces both fuel consumption and emissions once again by more than 10 per cent. At the same time the electric motor offers a boost function, supporting the gasoline engine in generating particularly dynamic drive power for an even more sporting driving experience in the car.

Intelligent energy management likewise serves to enhance the efficiency of the overall system, its unique functions ensuring appropriate control and management of all energy paths within the car and appropriate interaction of the drivetrain components precisely adjusted to driving conditions.

The drivetrain technology featured in the BMW Concept 5 Series ActiveHybrid allows all-electric, zero-emission motoring in city traffic. At the same time a special hybrid-based Auto Start Stop function offers additional efficiency by consistently switching off the combustion engine when stopping at the traffic lights, a road junction, or in congested traffic. Optimised comfort, finally, is provided by the auxiliary climate control function already featured in the BMW ActiveHybrid 7.
Previously spied 535i ActiveHybrid test car:

Name:  535iactivehybrid1.jpg
Views: 21305
Size:  558.8 KB

Name:  535iactivehybrid3.jpg
Views: 21237
Size:  570.8 KB

Appreciate 0