02-12-2020, 05:34 PM   #19
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTruong View Post
So I've been around guys that use catch cans and guys that don't in turbo DI daily drivers, track and drift racers. While it doesn't hurt and everything helps, it's not going to prevent blow by. You will still need to do a valve cleaning periodically every 50-75k as routine maintenance. Because of this, my friends that choose not to use a catch can tell me not to bother. Just sharing what I've seen/been told.
But manufacturers go about PCV systems differently. The N54 was notorious for valve build-up and needs "frequent" walnut blasting. The N55's PCV system was redesigned and doesn't need the walnut blasting the N54 did. In fact, I asked my SA about having it done and he told me they don't do it that often on the N55; NOTHING like the N54. He said they walnut blast the N55 only after all other avenues have been exhausted to solve a driveability issue.

From what I've read VW's are every bit as bad, if not worse, than the N54; Ford isn't much better. I haven't read anything on the other manufacturers as DI is relatively new to them. At least BMW have identified the issue and are correcting it.
Appreciate 0