View Single Post
      01-25-2013, 06:28 PM   #16
MikeGr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 535d f10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced46 View Post
Have you ever driven in an M5 with active sound though? People get the misconception it is the loud terrible fake noise coming through your speakers, that is 100% not true. I have driven a few F10 M5s and it is barely noticeable and actually gives a nice accent to the sound inside the car. Its very very very minimal.

I have spoke to a few BMW US engineers and instructors about this. When they were in Germany doing some training, one of the BMW German engineers "rigged" it into a Z4 they told me. What was done to make it work I have no idea. The engineers also said, with the active sound disabled (module unplugged) the car sounded terrible inside (the M5)

The active sound feature is not an ebay device to make your car sound like something its not. Trust me its not what you think if you haven't heard it in person.
i haven't heard it in person, but i have heard the 640d (same engine as mine) and the M550d (same engine but with some evolution), both of them shared the active sound design and i really liked it, didn't seemed at all like it was something that didn't belong there.

I believe that the diesel haters haven't yet tried one of these cars, if they did i think they would say otherwise.

It's not like we're talking of slow cars with fake engine sounds, the sound produced just matches the performance level, only happens to be a diesel.
Appreciate 0