Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulder Bill View Post
LOL. I agree I guess. If there was ANY difference in performance noted, why wouldn't you buy the premium fuel.

I don't want to launch a huge debate, but over the 10 years I owned my E39 540, I periodically used low premium gas - either by accident, availablility, or spouse. I never noticed any difference. This isn't to say that over time there wouldn't be or that the engine might not be harmed in some minute fashion. But I couldn't detect any decrease in performance.

I use the high octane gas in an abundance of caution. I don't feel very pound wise or foolish doing so. But I doubt very much that after 36 months, someone leasing a car has harmed the vehicle in any significant fashion for the next guy. I guess I just don't know.

But I love the consumer behavior study reference.
My point was that for $3 a week I don't need to bother with wondering if it does any harm or not. BMW knows that people dislike paying extra for premium fuel and wouldn't recommend it for no reason. They have a reason and I have no reason to not follow their recommendation
Appreciate 0