12-16-2012, 10:09 AM   #16
Die Wolfe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '12 535i Msport/'13 X5///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWPos
More information, and photos.

First, it was only the front right wheel that could not be brought into spec. Front left is fine. I am the car's second owner. I'm not sure what its original alignment was.

Second, IAS said that the -0.2 degree out-of-spec problem on the front right wheel is NOT unsafe but that over a long time, the tire's wear would be greater than the other three. IAS advised me to shop for the front wheel camber kit so that they could get the front right wheel into spec.

Third: I scanned the alignment report so I could uplaod it for you all to see and I noticed that the alignment machine had been set to target BMW 06-10 E61 4X2 Series 18 Wheel AFS (Active Front Steering). I sent an email this morning to IAS and their reply is "I took a look at the alignment machine and when the 2011 specifications are selected for your year and model BMW the screen labels the car as an 06-10 vehicle. According to the machine, the specifications are the same and these are the same specs in which we used to align the vehicle the last time you brought it to us. There is a possibility we have found a small bug in the software for our alignment machine and I have left a message with Hunter, the company who designed the machine, to let them know and to be sure the specifications we used are for sure for your specific vehicle. Their office is closed today, but I will follow up with them again Monday. Hopefully there is a software update to correct this issue. As soon as I have word from Hunter, I will contact you and let you know what we find out. If the specifications are different, we can bring your vehicle back in to perform the proper alignment and correct the situation."

Finally, about So Cal Suspension's work; they were able to access the rear area throught the speaker holes in the rear deck, and the front and rear springs are almost identical and must be differentiated by part numbers on the springs.

so, to summarize, the car drives perfectly with the alignment as it is right now, per the attached alignment report. If Hunter does have an updated spec for its alignment machine, I will report to all what the difference is, and what needs to be done.
I love it, clean and not over the top...wifey just ordered a set for me for Christmas. Thanks for the info and pics!
Appreciate 0