04-22-2015, 08:24 PM   #15
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbb34 View Post
At the risk of sounding like a grumpy old man (I swear I'm not) , what happen to just driving our cars and paying attention to things around us. Not at all saying all technology and features are bad (of course I love traction, stability, adaptive lights, ABS, DHP...etc..), just not to keen on what I consider "gimmicky" features - yes I know they are meant to make us all safer, still.

I personally didn't like line departure and found blind spot detection to be quite annoying. I also know one too many software designers and just based on that, would like to be able to check my own oil from time to time.
I think the idea is to continue driving like you normally would - but these systems just provide that insurance for when you have a "senior moment" and the inevitable human error occurs. I think I'm a pretty good driver, but I still acknowledge I'm only human. I like the idea of having "backup" for my own senses. I'm sure you've almost cut someone off (or did) because you missed them in your blind spot. We all have at some point. And sometimes those turn into deadly accidents. So why not have your car check it for you? If you miss something only once in 100,000 lane changes, it's still worth the price if it could save your life.

My wife's Q5 doesn't have this feature (probably an option pack we left off or wasn't offered at the time), and I'll admit it feels a bit "naked" when I'm driving it now. With a toddler making a lot of noise and distractions from the back seat, conversation going on in the front, radio on, etc, it does leave a solid potential for error - I'm definitely going to make sure I get these features on whatever car she drives next. A bit more peace of mind.
Appreciate 0