03-18-2016, 07:53 PM   #9
Jcbama85
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0Cool92 View Post
Hey guys. Decided to change up my Piano Black Forgestars with a new color but wanted to be able to go back to black if I ever wanted.

So I picked up some of Rustoleums version of Plastidip which imo gives a better looking finish and smoother surface than Plastidip.

3 cans gold Rustoleum dip
2 cans white Rustoleum dip

Did it with the wheels still on car, garbage bagged the brake calipers/rotors. Washed/dried rims. Tires had coverall tire shine on them so I didn't have to use notecards around the rim. The tire shine acts as a repellant to the dip and I just literally wiped the dip right off the tire, no problemo .

I wanted a brighter finish of Gold so first, I hit each rim with about 4 coats of white dip instead of spraying the gold dip directly onto the black, which would've given me more of a dark gold/bronze finish. Then hit each rim with about 5-6 coats of the gold dip.

I would defiantly recommend doing this to change up your cars look if you'd like. And the best thing is, you can peel off the dip in the future and go back to your previous color.

Had this done to my wheels on my previous car, brake dust just washed right off and the dip lasted on my wheels for over a year (could've lasted longer) before I removed it and sold the wheels.

Didn't cost me more than 55 bucks (each can is 9.99). I'm digging the gold. The lighter color on the wheels really brings out the design and concavity. Very simple and cost effective, other colors I might do in the future are Red, or like a Dark silver.
Looks stunning. Personally I don't like anything gold on cars, but this is very well done and a great DIY project. Thanks for sharing.
BimmerTech Amp
Appreciate 0