View Single Post
      08-11-2011, 11:24 PM   #1
Sonnie
Bama Hillbilly
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 528i

Thoughts on Tire Size (Comparisons)

I replaced my OEM wheels and tires on my previous 528i with the wheels and tires in the middle column below. As you can see, they were quite a bit wider and only slightly taller. They fit well with no issues.

I am probably going to use the same wheels on my new 528i that is on order now... or at least the same size wheel, but the tire I want to go with, the Michelin MXM4 is not offered in the previous size I had, so I plan to use the proposed 245/50/18, which will be narrower than the previous tire, but yet again a bit taller... nearly an inch taller than the OEM.

There appears to be plenty of clearance and they will probably look better filling up the wheel well more... and I like the idea of getting back close to the sidewall height of the OEM. I am not much on the railroad boxcar type wheels with a layer of rubber stretched over them. I like a little bit of rubber with my wheels. No offense intended to those who like that style... call me old fashioned.

Speedometer difference will be 2 mph faster at 60 mph, but I am not concerned about it. My truck has run bigger tires at 3 mph faster since I have owned it. I am a slow poke anyway... I am the guy leading the long train of cars you get behind.

Basically I want to make sure I am not missing anything and would appreciate any reassurances that I should be fine before I get my tire guy to order these for me.

Thanks!

Appreciate 0