08-26-2014, 08:42 AM   #11
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseIan View Post
Also, I'm interested to try S-Tronic as the one I'm referring to was R-Tronic like you were talking about
The R-Tronic, like many single-clutch automated systems, was very jerky at any speeds slower than flat-out racing. The S-Tronic is a dual-clutch system now, and it's PRETTY smooth - in non-sport mode, you can drive it almost like you would an automatic with paddle shifters... a passenger may not even know the difference. However, in sport mode, it'll kick you in the pants - if you try to drive it in sport mode and fully automatic, downshifts are very hard and will make the car lurch. So, sport mode, from what I've seen, can really only be used comfortably in manual... which makes sense anyway, since you're not likely cruising around if you require sport mode.

The changes are just lightening quick, though, and I think Audi really knocked it out of the ballpark with this transmission.
Appreciate 0