View Single Post
      10-26-2012, 03:23 AM   #20
Dandle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
That is pretty fast, but a lot will depend on what sort of warm up running we do.

Even my N55 'inefficient' petrol engine wouldn't do that in my driving conditions, will take more than 10 miles to be 100C on the oil temp' gauge.

But my typical warm up will be 1/4 mile up the lane, one acceleration to about 60mph, 3 miles then 1/2 a mile at 30mph. An acceleration to 60mph and driving another 8 miles at around 60mph.

I'm off out in a few minutes, so will give particular attention to the oil temperature, ambient temperature today just above freezing.

HighlandPete
If mine was all town driving mine wouldnt be up to temp in that distance. My trips to work is around 7 miles with a little town work and about 6 miles of it over three different dual carriageways with traffic lights on them. I never get over 60 though so the engine isnt really working hard. Sounds like it warms up much faster than yours does though, does the 535i still use the old cast iron block.

My last car as we discussed before would have the water temp up to 88-89 in that distance even in winter. This car has the oil temp hotter than that in the same distance, will be interesting to see if the oil still gets up to that temp so quickly in minus ambient temps. Part of it must be the benefit of the alloy block warming up much quicker than the old M57 block.
Appreciate 0