View Single Post
      11-22-2015, 09:59 AM   #6
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Bake View Post
33,000 and my rear left (19" run flat Goodyear excellence) let go Friday night. I figured it was a puncture since there was still several mm tread visible, but when the wheel was removed I could see the inside tread was long gone.

Tyre fitter told me this is what he sees on 5 series; inner wear on the rear and outer wear on the front and it's not a tracking issue, it's just the way they wear. I assume he knows what he is talking about.
Inner rear wear has been a BMW trait for years, particularly with sport suspension calibration, RFTs just make it worse. Rear camber and toe settings are quite aggressive. The tyre fitter is correct about outer front wear as well.

My own tyre wear on the 535i, 18" Continental Sport Contact 3 SSR, about 20,000 miles for the set. I've never rotated tyres on a BMW before, but as this car has same size on all corners, decided I'd do so as an experiment and see if there were any driving negatives, also see if wear could be better controlled both front and rear.

I did manage to run them down pretty even, and replaced with around 3mm. The inner edges on the rear (when I changed tyres) were just getting knocked off as I'd expect and experienced with BMW over the years.

You also have to be careful with pressures, to get a balance of wear. I have always set pressures to balance inner and centre wear on the rears, outer and centre wear on the fronts. Run too low and inner rear wear simply accelerates.

Here is an example of a rear tyre off of my 330d.

Note how the inner edge (foreground) is wearing due to camber, the wear towards the outside of the tyre from the toe setting.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0