View Single Post
      09-09-2021, 11:42 AM   #6
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

Chiming in:

- You do not need ISTA if you did not take the calipers off and expose the lines to air. The ISTA process is for bleeding, not changing the brake fluids. If all you're doing is pushing out old fluid, it's fine to do a traditional fluid change since there's really no air being introduced to the system.

- Motive power bleeder is 100% nice to have. It makes bleeding brakes a one man job, since it pressurizes the system for you. You also don't need to do the frantic "HOLD NO HOOOOOOOOOOLD OKAY LET GO" thing as you close and open the nipple since the system is always pressurized and won't so easily suck up old fluid/air. You also get the benefit of not having to risk the reservoir running dry and getting air into the master, which is a bitch to bleed since you have to get the air out a really, really, long distance. For 50 bucks, it's well worth it.

- No 4 pot rears will work on our cars, AFAIK, due to the electronic parking brake. Even M5's use the single pot floating calipers, and tbh it's more than enough given how front heavy our cars are.

- A pre-bleed is where you let the air bleed out naturally before you do a "powered" bleed. It's really not that necessary. Unsure about rotating calipers though, since our calipers are specific to each corner.

- You need DOT4 Low Viscosity (LV) fluid. I use ATE SL.6. I would avoid using DOT 5.1, as I'm sure there's a reason BMW didn't spec DOT 5.1 fluids even on M cars. Maybe due to the fact that the higher the boiling point, the faster it accumulates water.
Appreciate 1
Blue Angel1035.00