View Single Post
      02-24-2010, 02:59 PM   #2
DieselDog
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1994 E36 Coupe 318is "Gunter"

F11 in the USA

I believe BMW executives are making a mistake by not certifying the F11 for sale in the USA. The Touring may be the answer to the 5-Series practical transportation question for which BMW insists the 5er GT is *THE* answer. The Touring is sleeker and sportier the the GT, and has the luxurious interior of the F10. Seems to me, these qualities make it a good comparison model to the Cadillac CTS SportWagen. I'd certainly consider it. Body-on-frame SUVs are now dinosaurs here in the USA. "Cross-overs" are getting smaller. Wagons make sense NOW and will in the immediate future, too. The GT is too big and too thirsty and will not be de-contented by BMW. The F11 will surely be available (at least somewhere on the globe) as a 520dT, 528iT, 530dT, 530iT, 535dT, 535iT, and perhaps as a 550iT. With that potential range of powertrains and price points, BMW has an extremely flexible and marketable vehicle on its hands and has potential customers salivating. Decision-makers who IGNORE this potential only continue to anger and confuse a loyal and fairly patient customer base. Substituting the GT for the 5er Touring in this market in this economy will surely be a blunder.

Come on, BMW, make the F11 available in the USA and MARKET IT as the great, sporting and luxurious practical tourer it is. You CAN see these here! And make mine a 530dT with a manual transmission, while you're at it!
Appreciate 0