08-28-2010, 08:54 AM   #21
sois
MasterDebater
Canada
Rep
Drives: e90 335i, e90 M3, '11 MCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SerieStud View Post
Based on what premises? This actually makes little sense. I have driven both and I own an N55...my N55 feels a tad quicker.
Hmmm, I have driven both as well and is quite clear to me that the N54 is a lot more responsive (less lag) and is generally quicker. I was able to modulate a 6sp N55 a bit better than an automatic N55 (dreadful compared to an N54 automatic). However, the 6spd N54 walked on the 6spd N55. This discrepancy is made quite clear by BMW with the new 335is coupe and cab (fitted with the N54 engine and listed with 320hp and 332tq). These are the values N54 engine owners suspected were more realistic all along. The N55 stock does not possess the output that the stock N54 engine possesses and this has been confirmed with more realistic dyno tests.

From what I have read and having driven cars with both engines and auto/6spd combos this is as clear as day to me (the superior quickness/responsiveness of the N54). However, they are both fantastic engines and the N55 I suspect is much more economical and easy for BMW to handle (I believe the N55 runs cooler as well). I can only imagine how many buyers think they are getting the same engine though (twin turbo versus twin scroll terminology...). Clever marketing.

Anyway, Cheers!

Last edited by sois; 08-28-2010 at 09:15 AM..
Appreciate 0