View Single Post
      02-09-2019, 11:11 PM   #8
jonobro
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw f10 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stück View Post
Doing the gasket only at your mileage is ill advised, take this from someone that does this for a living...

The valve cover should be replaced at age for several reasons. One, it is plastic and it cracks. Sometimes its cracked and that is why its leaking, and other times retorqing it causes it to crack, or best yet it will be fine for a few weeks and then crack... requiring a redo with considerable added expense.

The valve cover has an integrated crankcase breather valve and the diaphragms do not last forever. I'm seeing more and more N55 valve covers coming in squealing with a failed valve.

Save yourself the practice and just do it the best way the first time. Replace the valve cover as a complete unit. The new cover comes with the gasket and valvetronic seal.
I'm having to replace my valve cover gasket bought one for $500 OEM and my oil filter housing, thinking about doing the oil filter housing myself save myself the money but for valve cover gasket what advice would you give ? I'm having a mechanic do it for me he's been working on bmws for awhile I guess
Appreciate 0