Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prissy View Post
I've posted 2 night images here: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=40374288
They are not photoshopped, want to know how to make the lights to pop out better like you guys did lol. I hope it's not a lens problem that I have to buy better lens.
Notice that those light have no exposed lights. They're all signs with backlighting. Most of the ones you see on these pages are skylines with directly exposed lights with no covers that are point sources that are actually overexposed. Because they occupy so little area the over exposure is not a problem and is seen as twinkle.

You can make sure that your images are extra sharp by using a tripod, low ISO, mirror lock up and remote shutter release. Expose to the right of the histogram and normalize the brightness level in RAW conversion. Add Vibrance and Contrast in PP and maybe a tasteful touch of Saturation. If you want sparkle or twinkle, pick subjects with exposed lights in parts of the image. If you shoot an LED sign, try getting close so that the individual lights are more prominent. Be careful with Sharpening, since it can destroy detail.

Out of the camera images are NOT realistic. Our eyes see more color and contrast than the RAW uncorrected image and the basic (non-program) jpeg will show. LightRoom, DxO, DPP, Nik all add to the realism. Thinking that the untouched RAW image is "accurate", particularly if you expose to the right, is a mistake. The RAW file is a collection of data, ready for "conversion" to a natural looking output.

Dave