05-22-2010, 09:05 AM   #6
exAudiGuy
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: '06 SG 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim-atl View Post
Thanks for the write up. I'm with ya on the plastic stuff - pet peeve of mine as well. Do you remember which controls were giving you a poor impression?
I'd say most of my issue was around the things on the center console. As mentioned, I would have liked the i-drive controller to have a little more "heft." I also thought the buttons surrounding it felt a little light to the the touch and were loose feeling. A little more force feedback and less side to side slop would have felt better, IMHO. I also thought the same of the release button and operating feel of the center console compartment.

I liked the function of the e-parking brake, but again, the release lever felt thin, as if too strong a pull might break it. The finish of the black plastic is the standard BMW matte, which in a couple of places where there was a large expanse of it, started to feel a little cheap looking. I didn't have any issue with the HVAC controls or control stalks, and I really liked the feeling of the steering wheel.

Some of this certainly has to do with taste...overall the interior looks good and is very "business like" in appearance, but the overall feel is maybe a little "dour" vs. luxurious feeling. I guess I might have liked a little more gloss/luxury in a few spots. I think the lighter wood trims might help a lot in this regard, and I'm anxious to see an interior with those. Most of the pics I've seen, and these two cars, had the anthracite trim, which doesn't really do it for me. I think this may also be why the flat black plastic looks a little out of place, as the anthracite has a very high gloss finish.
Appreciate 0