View Single Post
      09-03-2014, 03:21 PM   #69
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillInDenver View Post
Actually there is something to the athletic feeling I get from a car with an always-tight suspension. I agree with you that the adaptive model is soft unless it needs to be hard, and that correctly translates into a more relaxed feeling on the road, until you have to swerve or something. Having a car that feels relaxed makes me think I bought a car that's less sporty than it is. This is in my head, but I have a feeling the automotive press is experiencing the same struggle, based on what they've written about this car.

I haven't driven a 3 or 4 series with DHP, but people tell me that in Sport mode, those cars feel "stiffer" than the 704 suspension equivalents. I feel sure that is not the case with the F10. If the Sport mode were somewhat more aggressive, I might have no complaint, save maybe the price.
I think you are correct in your comment I've highlighted, and that many others are also feeling the car is soft. There is an indoctrinated view (certainly here in the UK) sporty must be felt, almost uncomfortable, or it isn't sporty. In fact many users live with suspensions/wheel setups which to be fair are unrefined, but viewed as sporty. Not always judged on how fast and comfortably we get from point to point.

I've read that in the 3/4 series BMW have set the adaptive sport a bit tighter than the passive sport, as there is an option to move to a comfort mode. I'm sure it is in a Q&A with BMW engineers somewhere on the forums.

I find I run my 5-series wagon in the mid setting, as sport is just too firm for some of the poor surfaces I drive regularly. The car is certainly more refined in normal mode. For me it is pitched right where I want it, but I do use all modes according to my mood and the roads I use.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0