View Single Post
      10-21-2014, 04:20 PM   #83
Depo1964
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnoah View Post
On Tuesday of this week I took delivery of my new 535d with the DHP package. After driving it a few days, I have a couple of updates.
  • Overall -I absolutely love the way this car handles. It feels tight, responsive, flat, predictable, and endlessly smooth. I'm used to driving an 2008 e60, and there is simply no comparison. That old model was permanently soft and comfortable, and this new model feels much more confident and stable. And the DHP truly solves all the complaints about the f10 being too big, too heavy, and plagued by too much body roll.
  • On Dynamic Modes - I anticipated wanting to keep the car in Sport mode for the firmest dampening settings, but I've found that the standard Comfort mode is just about perfect for me. It is a great balance between sporty crispness and luxury comfort, which is exactly what I'd expect from a vehicle like this. With the 19" wheels and 40 series tires, the Sport mode feels a bit too firm and harsh for the back roads in my town where the roads are in bad shape (from last winter). I do like the Sport mode on a well paved back road, as it does tighten up the chassis noticeably.
  • It Aint the Dynamic Dampers - No matter what dampening settings you dial in, the real hero of the DHP is the Adaptive Drive and Active Roll Stabilization. Even in the softest settings, this car stays impossibly flat and square in corners – the car is literally counteracting physics and it makes for an amazing driving experience.
  • On Hitting Potholes - When hitting potholes and uneven pavement, my perception is that the DHP helps prevent that corner from deep diving, putting less of the car's weight into the pothole. I can't say whether or not there's actually less force and potential damage to the wheels/tires, but I can say that from the driver's seat, it certainly feels this way.
  • On Comfort - When in the Comfort+ mode, this is the most comfortable, smooth riding car I've ever driven. Eco-Pro mode is also very comfortable, but it makes the steering noodle-soft, which I think is a step too far.
Hi digitalnoah,
Were those tires OEM and if so I am assuming they were performance run-flats and not all-season. Please advise.
The reason i ask it that I am about to finalize an order on a 535i M Sport with the
Dynamic Handling Package and trying to meet my wife half way on a comfortable ride for her.
Trying to find out if there is an appreciable difference between the performance and all-season.
Appreciate 0