View Single Post
      07-20-2012, 05:46 AM   #17
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimlock View Post
But if the N20's aren't the same, why wouldn't they use the 1.6T for the 520s since they aren using 2.0T for 528i - there seems to be some incongruency, other than for cost efficiency why would they still use the 2.0T for the 520i? Unless they wanted to give more to the consumer, but then why would they give the 2.0T to the N20?
I wouldn't mind reducing the N52s life to 10+yrs don't you think it could that given what they do to the other engines? I don't care for fuel efficiency just let it rev out pls. Although i only went to redline a few times, i think it cuts out unceremonious with an automatic downshift once its hits 6700rpm .. very dissapointing i wish it could bounce around up there like in those videos of old inline6 M engines
BMW is not running a charity, they're here to make money, so for them financially the best arrangement is for all 16i & 18i models to use N13 & 20i, 25i & 28i to use N20. Also, it wouldn't work well to put the N13 into F10 body as it weighs nearly 1,700kgs. Imagine when the engine is off boost - u'll only be using a NA 1.6 to propel that heavy bodyshell.
It isn't easy to tune N52 & N53 as they have probably the highest output for that engine displacement in the world (mainstream cars I'm talking abt). Also that magnesium alloy block may not be friendly to tuning (i.e. N54 uses different block). Also the revs are limited by the design of the Valvetronic system.
Appreciate 0