07-24-2011, 07:06 PM   #28
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chips335d View Post
Should be a 535d being released instead of the hybrid. Very disappointed. BMW had a great opportunity here to expand the diesel lineup.

Sales of the diesels have gotten much stronger and I guarantee the hybrid won't do 0-60 in 5.7 seconds and have a full tank range of 700 miles.

The 535 hybrid will not be a success.
I understand where you're coming from, but there is a reason why they aren't releasing the new diesel engines here in America yet.

The new diesels do not comply with U.S. emissions regulations as to the stricter laws and regulations in California. Another catalyst must be added so that the exhaust burns cleaner. Why this isn't BMW's first U.S. priority I cannot say, but I can assure you it is in the works.

I will disagree with you on the part of the hybrid not being a success, and here's why.

The 750i and X6 ActiveHybrid (and similarly the S400 Hybrid and LS 600h L) are simply too expensive. Hybrids were originally introduced to satisfy the frugal, environmentally-conscious consumer. There is hardly anything frugal about $101,000 and 17/26 city/highway miles per gallon, especially when the purely gasoline-powered 740i (which costs around 30% less) achieves 17/25 city/highway miles per gallon. This alone exposes cars like the 750i and X6 ActiveHybrid for what they're truly worth: status symbols, half-heartedly spearheading the over-hyped campaign for a healthier environment--at least for those who can foot the bill; an all talk and no game situation, for sure.

Toyota (and other similar carmakers) promotes a self-perpetuated sense of pride in the minds of its consumers and supporters, in that one must sacrifice vanity as an investment in the future of the global community. Where the Toyota Prius is ugly, its high fuel efficiency, low cost, and impressively low drag coefficient of 0.25 are reasons enough to persuade the average Whole Foods shopper to take a trip to their local Toyota dealer. PETA is similar with their campaign, "I'd Rather Go Naked Than Wear Fur," where celebrities--and subsequently their fans/devotees--promise that they would prefer to bare it all than sport a super-chic, über-expensive fur coat, regardless of whether or not they feel confident with their bodies.

So BMW is somewhat trying to follow suit. While there's nothing inexpensive about the 5-series, let alone any BMW, there is definitely some effort being put forth. BMW might actually prove itself worthy in areas more socially acceptable than the cost-ineffective study as to whether the U.S. needs another inane excuse for a cross-market "not-a-people-mover-but-an-SAV."

And people like you and me who pay attention will recognize that.

Last edited by xDrive35i; 07-24-2011 at 07:14 PM..
Appreciate 0