07-24-2011, 07:23 PM   #29
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by benmoooon View Post
Not in the United States. People in America don't drive Diesels & Wagons for passenger cars for some reason. The complete opposite trends are seen in Europe.

I bet hybrids would sell better than Diesels in the US.
Diesels are plagued by the age-old, misinformed, and pretentiously prideful misconception that they are slow, smelly, harmful, and "only-to-be-driven-by-truckers." If the people in this country would actually read a press release and the fine print they might see that diesels are now typically clean-burning and buying one offers a tax-incentive.

Wagons are awesome, in my opinion, but I'm an enthusiast, and most Americans don't have the patience or the luxury to spend on a low-slung, high-performance sports wagon. I would have gone for the new 5-series wagon had BMW decided to bring it here to the states, as I had an E60 wagon and loved it. But no, stubborn Americans had to ruin it for us, forcing upon us the entirely too expensive and utterly pointless 5-series GT. So I bought the new X3 instead. But had the new 35d engine been ready for the X3 in America, I would have checked the little box next to that over the 35i.

And you're right. Hybrids do sell better in the US...when they don't cost $101,000.
Appreciate 0