01-13-2012, 10:43 PM   #971
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1 View Post
yeah, i found out the hard way how to take care of them, 150$ canadian mistake.

what happend is because of the pin system, I ended up bending one in my computers card reader. the bent pin then went into the card sideways and tore it apart inside.

it took me about 2 days to get all the pictures off of it, I had to stick a sewing pin inside and try to move the metal contact points back into place and pulled the bent pin out of my computers reader and was eventually able to read them. I tryed 3 different readers, and only managed to extract the remaining files on one of them, and funny enough, it was the reader that was missing a pin.

I sampled around a bit with other cards after to make sure the reader in my computer was still working (and yes it was) even without the one pin. But the card was garbage after.

so just be super carefull pulling them in and out. Mine are perminantly in my cameras now, unless i upgrade to a new card, then that one takes over.

and yes, definitely turn the camera off before opening the memory card compartment, same with battery, it forces the camera to do instant shut downs, which skips the cleaning process and such. I assume, probably not the best thing for the camera.

interestingly Windows Vista recognizes the software inside the cameras. it also has it's own built in importing abilities which work quite nicely. lightroom can also pull straight off of the camera too.

I only find this technique only marginally slower, but at the same time, you're saving time by not having to open up camera, pull card, insert card elsewhere, then remove card, put back in camera, format.

with camera, leave cord attached to computer, just plug into camera, and sit down, then do normal imporing procedures, then when done, unplug camera. what it lacks in speed read/write, it makes up for in time wasted moving a to b. So I've found anyhow.

SD card, i wouldn't hesitate to remove and put into computer every time, just so easy... nothing really to go wrong like all those pins on the compact flashes.
My small USB card reader doesn't have a CF slot, so I'll be using your method to start anyway. I usually only have a dozen or so images that need to come off the camera, unless I'm on vacation or something. Then images tend to pile up until I can dump them to a laptop and external drive.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0