View Single Post
      09-22-2013, 04:45 PM   #32
Kccobfm
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Hi, all. I recently changed out my oem springs with H&R springs and had a bit of bad luck to say the least. Mostly my fault due to rushing the process. I stripped the threads on the strut itself, easily fixed with a tap and die set though.

The real misfortune was immediately after the install and on the 2 min test drive i somehow blew my left front strut. Didnt hit any bumps or anything but after parking it back into my garage i noticed some oil dripping on to the floor. After tracing it back to the location, it was coming from the strut itself. I didnt think the lowering springs would cause that much stress on the strut but it appears that it did. Although i suspect the strut was defective or damaged somehow before i lowered the car. Anyone else encounter this issue? The install was pretty straight forward with a few exceptions. BMW in their infinite wisdom decided to change up the strut mounts which require bolts to sit into the mount as opposed to nuts which previously went over the strut bolts. The E60s setup was much easier to line up. Also the F10s strut mount (referred to as a guide mount) is made of aluminum which makes it very easy to strip the threads in it.
Appreciate 0