nyte3k
Software Nerd
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sieben1973 View Post
I dont get the "If oil one day hits $10/gallon"
I have a 6 cylinder BMW because i wanted to have a 6 cylinder BMW not because it better on gas then Merc or Audi
I dont care if its 33 or 35 mpg, i love my 6 cylinder BMW

By that rational why is BMW producing V8? because there are people that want them
I understand what you're saying, and I plan on getting a 335 next time around when the new coupes launch because that's what I prefer, but I think wanting a 6 cylinder because it's a 6-cylinder isn't a good enough argument for BMW to ignore the probably larger number of folks who buy BMWs and don't care about what's under the hood.

I'm not saying that BMW should simply forget about the performance of their cars to appeal to the general public, but what I am saying is that we enthusiasts should not write off everything that doesn't fit in with the status quo of performance. If 20 years from now a 3-cylinder engine can produce the torque, power, performance of a 12cylinder, with 1/4 the weight and 10x the fuel economy, is it a bad thing? (Ignoring the weak sounding motor of course lol)

It's inevitable. Smartphones, tablets, computers, etc become more efficient at doing more than the previous version, so it is simply foolish to think that automobiles (which involve more technology than many other products we interact with) would be immune to this.
Appreciate 0