Administrator
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
Edmunds full on road test of the 2011 BMW 535i

Name:  edmunds535.jpg
Views: 5800
Size:  81.4 KB

Their summary: The March Toward Technological Perfection Continues.

Although edmunds have give snippets of reviews for the new F10 5-Series in the past, this is their first full review of the new 5-Series. Their test model was a beautiful example of a 535i with automatic transmission. Here are a few quotes from the review, but follow the link at the bottom to the actual article.

Quote:
Certainly the only bit in the 2011 BMW 535i that is simpler is the engine — a new version of the 3.0-liter turbocharged mill that previously powered 1, 3 and 5 Series cars. The simplification was accomplished by removing both turbochargers and replacing them with a single twin-scroll turbo, which BMW says helps improve throttle response. Also absent is a throttle valve. The new engine is throttled via BMW's Valvetronic system, which alters valve lift to control engine speed.
Quote:
Ultimately, however, almost every interface inside the 535i is quite good. Especially considering the audience. Sure, there will always be those hard-core devotees who insist that this sedan should come with a manual transmission and be driven accordingly. Largely, though, this is a comfortable cruiser that is just as at home in the daily traffic slog as it is on the open road. And there are few machines better adapted to those environs.
Quote:
In following the current more-is-better automotive design philosophy, the 5 Series' wheelbase has grown 3.2 inches. At 116.9 inches it is the longest in its class. Oddly, this doesn't translate to the most front and rear legroom — that honor goes to the Infiniti M. Even our larger editors found ample space in the 5, however. Average-size passengers have room to swim in the rear seat and large adults (6 feet plus) can fit behind their own driving position without being cramped. But none of this should come as a surprise in this class.
Source / Link: Edmunds' InsideLine Review: BMW 535i