View Single Post
      05-15-2014, 08:53 PM   #9
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

The 550 will give you the additional power and responsiveness you're looking for - and then some. I came from an e90 335, and the 550 just blows the doors off of the 335 in terms of responsiveness and power.

I also live in the general NYC metro area, and I opted for the DHP for the 550. I had the passive sport suspension on my 335, and the potholes and rough roads just got old. The DHP provides for a really nice option to switch between soft and stiff suspension when you want. I've found it to be truly invaluable. I also travel to places like Boston often for work, and the roads there are just terrible, as well - Comfort+ on a rutted or cobble roads makes all the difference... back to Sport on the smooth twisties to satisfy both personalities.

We have an Audi in the household, too (maybe soon to be two), and as nice as they are, the interiors just aren't the same quality if you ask me. The materials feel cheaper, the navigation system is far from BMW-quality, and I think they look a bit old-fashioned compared to BMW. Nonetheless, you really couldn't go wrong with an A6, either. It's a great car... just not as great as an F10 in my opinion.

The F10 isn't going to steer or feel like the older hydraulic BMWs. Some people are really put off by it, but I don't mind. If you get passed the "feel," you'll actually notice that the steering is extremely accurate - which is the main point, isn't it? Some people are more hung up on the feel than the utility. The steering is spot-on and accurate, but you'll need to get used to a slightly different feeling/feedback. After the first month or so driving mine, I was fully acclimated.

Finally, the F10 is obviously a bigger car. If you can do with a small cabin, the F30 would certainly provide a more nimble experience if that's high on your priority list. But if you're willing to forego a bit of that agility, the F10 really delivers luxury and pampering that, in my opinion, far outweighs the little you give up in agility.
Appreciate 0