View Single Post
      06-07-2010, 11:57 PM   #1
ibimmer954
Major
Rep
Drives: '23 i4 M50, '15 M3, '18 911

Garage List
BWM Ultimate Drive event report

I attended a BMW Ultimate Drive Event in Encinitas, CA this afternoon and wanted to share my experiences. First, some background about me. I already own a 2011 535i 6MT (had it for a week) and I'm coming off of a 2007 335i Convertible. I was curious about other BMW models other than the 535i at the Event since I already own one.

The 550i
First up, I drove the 550i. The 550i at the event included the Sport and Dynamic Handling packages, but not Integral Active Steering. I drove the car with the Handling in Sport mode and the auto tranny in Sport mode. Wow, is this car fast! When I floored the accelerator, the car took off like a rocket. Definitely faster than the 535i. The engine has a lower, raspier note than the 535i as well. If you have any doubts if you want more power in the car, get the 550i. It's a beast.

Integral Active Steering
I can also safely say that I really enjoy the Integral Active Steering. IAS enhances steering feel at low speeds making it easier to get around the parking lot. And when driving in the twisties, my 535i steering feels much sportier than the steering did in that 550i. With IAS when driving through the curves, I can keep my hands at 10 and 2. I can go through the curves only having to turn the wheel between 60 and 90 degrees. Without IAS, you have to turn the wheel more like 120-180 degrees. It takes more effort. Without IAS, getting out of the parking lot, I had to turn the wheel about 200-270 degrees on some turns. With IAS, never more than about 180 degrees. The enhanced 4-wheel steering also gives me the feel that my 535i was planted more firmly to the road than what I felt on the non-IAS car. If you value steering feel and effectiveness, I highly recommend the IAS.

Mercedes E350
This was my "comparison" car. But to be fair, the engine in the E350 is on par with the 528i. Not the 535i and 550i. Definitely, a big power deficit. Handling wise, the E350 wasn't too bad. But I didn't care for the steering wheel with the Lexus-style wood part at the top. Gave the steering wheel a strange feel when turning.
The seats in the E350 were very comfortable and the brakes in the car felt very solid. I felt quite safe in the car.
The paddle shifters on the tranny were a joke. Hitting a shift paddle merely mailed a request to the tranny to shift. Occasionally when it felt like it would get around to it, you'd get your shift. And I was surprised how cheap the E350 looked inside. I was expecting much better interior materials.

535i GT
I was surprised by how well this car drove. It's a large car. There's at least an extra 4-5 inches of leg room in the back seat of the GT compared to my 535i. But the car still drove with a feel very close to the 550i in the handling department. The handling still felt solid. You sit higher in the GT compared to the F10. And the gauge panel design is a little more attractive. Interestingly, the gauges use a white-motif instead of the BMW-amber I'm used to from the 335i and 535i. They look real nice.
Driving this car highlighted the power difference between the 535i and 550i engine. Flooring the accelerator in this car produces a nice sound, but you don't get that "sucked into your seat" feel. It's the same as my 535i. You get firm, solid acceleration. But nothing like the "I'm going into orbit" feel of the 550i.
I don't like the back-end of this vehicle. It's looks silly and actually has very little trunk space. It's crazy that a car that has plenty of interior room for 4 adults taking a weekend trip would have barely enough luggage space for two people in the trunk.

My F10 purchasing tips and recommendations

After driving my F10 535i for a week and driving the 550i and 535i GT at this event, I'll share my opinions.

1. Only get the 6MT if you are sure you want to drive with 3 pedals. You know who you are if you want the 6MT. That's fine. But it isn't for everyone. Be aware than the 6MT feel in the F10 is designed for smooth comfort shifting, not sporty M3-style shifting. If you have any doubts, get the 8-speed AT. It's a fabulous auto-tranny that works really great. I really liked the AT even though I bought the 6MT. I don't regret my choice... much.

2. If you truly value Sporty handing, get the Integral Active Steering package. This implies you are also getting Dynamic Handling and the Sport Packages. IAS enhances the grip of the car in the twisties, and enhances the feel of the steering at both low and high speeds. It's a win-win option.

3. The power of the 550i is intoxicating. In my 535i, when I punch it I get nice, solid acceleration. But I don't get that "sucked into my seat" feel. The I-6 engine does sound fabulous. With the 550i, you get a growlier engine note and strong "OMG" acceleration. But it's over fast as you hit and blow past the speed limit before the engine really gets going. The 535i is features smoother acceleration with a better engine note and better mileage. For around town, this is a more reasonable engine. For the highway, I'd love that 550i.
Appreciate 0