Thread: Xdrive rocks
View Single Post
      03-03-2018, 08:14 AM   #8
SC300T
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 13 E92 M3, 540xi, 535ix GT

Quote:
I had a 2013 535 w Xdrive and just recently purchased a 2015 535i. I will never buy another xdrive BMW. The RWD feels so much better and I don't have that weird artificial feeling when I steer. The way the xdrive steered always annoyed me. It feels like a completely different car and so much more fun to drive. It's unfortunate that so many people feel like they need an xdrive on a 5 series sedan. I guess it's just a matter of preference.
Definitely a matter of preference.... However - I've never heard an automotive journalist praise an electric power steering system in a BMW. The F10 and F07 have hydraulic racks in Xdrive vehicles only. RWD drive gets the electric unit, which has virtually no feel, is too light, and has an artificial load up that makes straight ahead a bit more vague. I have a 2013 RWD F10 and 2013 Xdrive F07 GT. The GT steering, IMHO is about as good as it gets. It is accurate, heavier, loads up predictably, has good feel, and telegraphs what the front wheels are doing. The GT in my opinion slaughters the F10 in every category related to steering, and is close to the E90s steering.

The only thing I prefer in the F10 steering-wise is the F10 is more eager in initial turn-in, but I think this is in part due to the F07 having longer wheelbase, higher weight, and higher CG.

The GT suspension also seems better tuned overall, especially for a highway car.

I would agree with the initial post about the winter capability. The GT is *SOLID* in snow. Long wheelbase, heavy weight, 50/50 weight distribution, and even torque distribution help.

At the end of the day, I like both cars, but they couldn't be more different despite both having a 535i badge.

JMHO......
Appreciate 0