View Single Post
      07-18-2012, 09:06 PM   #1
preeble
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 M3 Vert

Purchase Advise - 550xi vs Audi S6

I will be getting one of these two cars; I really want to get the 550 and I'm looking for some nudges to get me over the line - overall, here is where I am:

The 550xi will have Cold Weather, Dynamic, M Sport, Executive, Sport Trans and B&O sound. The S6 (comes standard with a bunch) as I have optioned it would come with cold weather, 20" wheels and LED headlight package. After working with my dealers, my purchase price would be within $1000 of each other.

I have driven the 550 and loved the way it drove. I haven't driven the S6 as they are not out yet, but I drove the A6 3.0 and was impressive (I thought that the engine was more responsive than the 535). I suspect that the S6 engine will pull as good, if not better than the BMW's engine.

In any case, here is where I am. Pros for the Audi (vs the BMW)
- 20" OEM wheels with summer tires (not run flats). The BMW only comes with 19s and has all season run flats (bad!)
- LED headlights - cool factor that is not in the F10s yet
- Likely a more powerful engine (albeit by a little bit)
- More rear seat space

Pros for the BMW:
- The car with M-Sport package is sharp looking, esp. vs the Audi with fairly conservative looks (IMHO), even in S trim (although I like the Audi's brake calipers better as they are decorated with the S logo)
- I prefer the interior design of the BMW - I think that the pop-out NAV screen on the Audi is cheesy
- My BMW build includes the B&O system, but the Audi's does not - the Audi's system is a $5900 option! I would be stuck with the Bose in the Audi
- The BMW has a couple of more tech features on the inside (HUD, etc.) that I am not getting in the Audi as those options make the car much more expensive

For me, most other items balance out. I would certainly be pushed over the edge if it turns out that the more powerful engine is in the 2013 550s, but I'm not holding my breath... Are the run flat all season tires that bad? I strongly prefer summer tires with separate winter wheel/tires, even for my SUV. This may be a problem with the BMW.

Any other things I should be considering?
Appreciate 0