View Single Post
      12-21-2013, 02:03 PM   #21
Super6
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 535xi, 2014 640i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_Lover View Post
I talked to some guys locally that belong to this organization: http://www.bimrs.org/

They recommended to me that I cut BMW maintenance schedule in half.

My 335d has a recommended service of 10k. I change my oil every 5k.

They told me that they have seen a lot of problems with cars, outside of warranty, that use BMW recommended service times.

In the 80's when I drove 3-series cars, and paid for my own service. They recommended I change the oil every 3k.

Now, that they are paying for the service. They recommend I change the oil every 10K.

You could argue that the guys who belong to the above linked organization want to see you more often because they make more money, or you could argue that BMW doesn't car about your car after warranty...

I don't know who is correct, but I think I want to be on the safe side and change my oil more frequently, and it also makes a good sales pitch when trying to sell your car privately. I keep always keep all the service paper work, and show it to prospective buyers when they come to look at the car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bake View Post
This topic has been discussed on multiple BMW forums at great length over the last 10 years or so. I am not going to rehash any info that is already out there, but BMW is not necessarily interested in the longevity of your engine, their only concern is that it performs satisfactorily until the end of your warranty. If you trust BMW on this, I suppose you also buy into their theory that oil consumption of 1 quart per 750 miles is acceptable.....I had oil issues with a pre-owned E46 ZHP (M-Sport) sedan that I owned prior to my F10 and have personally dealt with BMW and their willingness to address some of these issues. With that said, I will continue to change my oil at 5k mile intervals.

+1.......Also for those of us that buy our cars (instead of leasing) and sell them when they reach a certain mileage, its way easier telling a prospective buyer I changed my oil at 5k, than 10k or 15k. Especially all these cars having turbos, oil quality is the life of the turbo.

Personally, I would never buy a preowned vehicle from anyone that had oil changes at 10k and 15k I don't care what the service manual says.
Appreciate 0