View Single Post
      07-21-2012, 01:34 PM   #1
Bucaro
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Smile (Resolved!) Problems with manual 550 at low rpms. Now I have an M5!!!

RESOLVED![B]
Finally, after much anticipation, my M5 arrived. BMW discounted from the M5's MSRP the amount of money I was under on the 550's lease. Then, they gave me the $2,000 Holiday incentive and the $750 BMW loyalty discount. So, in effect, I ended up getting out of the 550 without problems and into an M5 with a $2,750 discount. Couldn't have asked for anything more and I am very pleased that BMW stood by their product and did everything they needed in order to keep their customer happy!
Thanks to all of the people who replied to my posts!

So after three trips to the dealer, the issue has not been resolved. First visit, they "updated the software", no results. Second visit, rode with a tech, who replicated the issue. They kept the car two weeks, dropped the transmission and found the "badly burned clutch", which was replaced "as a show of good will" by BMW. No results, either. Third time around, they asked me to bring the car only when the BMW rep would be able to drive it. Again, I rode with the service advisor, who replicated the issue. The BMW rep came, drove it, and left me the message (with the service advisor) "not to drive the car in comfort mode, but only in sport mode"!!! and not let it drop below 2,000 rpms... He did not even talk to me in person and when I asked to speak with him he "was gone already". I called BMWNA costumer service and voiced my concerns and dissatisfaction. I then got a called from my dealership stating that BMW had agreed to do a "trade assist" so I could move to a different car. What I don't like is that they have to appraise my car and then see what car I want and then they will "apply a formula" to come up with the numbers... By now I just want to move onto a M5, but I do not want to loose a lot of money. If the numbers are not right I will try to lemon the car. What do you guys think?
Thanks again.

I recently took delivery of my manual 550i. I have noticed that when I am driving at low rpms (between 1500 to 2000) and trying to keep a constant speed (for example driving through a 30 mph speed trap zone) the car does not feel smooth at all and there is an unevenness or hesitation, which makes it very uncomfortable. I also have noticed that if I am on sixth gear at the same rpm range and I accelerate, the car does accelerate without problems thanks to the torque but it also feels uneven until it gets passed beyond 2 or 3k rpms. I think it may be a software issue and I am bringing it to the dealer but want to see if someone else has experienced the same issue. This is not due to the car being in the wrong gear. I have driven manual cars all my life and this motor does not lack torque. I never experienced this on any of my previous manual BMWs, eventhough they had far less torque than this one. I have read about some jerkiness issues with the auto transmission cars but this seems to be different.
Thanks.

Last edited by Bucaro; 12-17-2012 at 09:55 PM..
Appreciate 0