View Single Post
      10-08-2011, 01:44 PM   #43
Ateam
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkent View Post
Clearly this is a typo and he meant "twin-scroll turbo".

The performance of this 4 cylinder is very impressive. I use to be uneducated and irrationally biased towards V8 engines and raw performance and sound. Then, I realized the "feel" of a car with any given powertrain is simply determined by it's torque curve. If a company like BMW can can engineer an engine with less tailpipe emissions (don't forget, there's alot more to emissions than a simple miles per gallon rating) which supplies the vehicle with greater acceleration potential than the other engine, then I think they just did you a service. Government regulations on emissions are tighter than ever right now. Car manufactures are havin to meet average emissions standards based on their entire fleet of vehicles. With that said, the easiest way to decrease average emissions ratings for an entire fleet is to decrease the emissions ratings in the segment where your highest volume of sales exists. Every car manufacture is affected by these stringent regulations--BMW is just always a step or two ahead of everyone else when it comes to powertrain. I admire the way they have avoided letting regulations take the fun and performance out of engines. Efficient dynamics is a fitting motto for this company. "Efficient" for the world. "Dynamic" for the driver. No other company has married those two words more effectively than BMW.

A person is kind of like a still object--a stopped car, for example. Most of us are fine with being stopped and when someone comes along and tries to move or change us, we are stubborn and resistive. We are an object at rest which tends to stay at rest. It requires a lot of force to get us to move, but once we get moving, the force required to move us decreases and we eventually end up at a new location where we can stop and get comfortable until the next change comes along and overcomes our stubborness.

Go drive the car when it's time to replace your current one and see how it feels. If you can't get over the sound, then ask for an M5 soundtrack to play in it, or spend a little extra money and get the I6 option. The real thing here is most people don't care. We who have performance and sound at the top of our priority list are a minority. Most BMW drivers care about status, and maybe to a some degree, performance, but the only sound they are listening to is pumping out their iPod through the killer audio system in their new car.

This article here seems to sum up the typical BMW owners concern for what makes their car move...
http://wot.motortrend.com/bmw-80-per...rive-7976.html
This shows you are still pretty naive. It is still not possible to replicate a torque curve of a V8 with a ttv6 or the curve of an I6 with a TTI4.

That was my entire point if you read my post. The fact is that the torque curve and delivery of the I6 was TOTALLY different and very linear with hp peaking at redline. The TT enines tend to have HP peaks much much earlier and then have 2k worth of dead rpms.

Like I said, some people like these low end grunt TT motors which is fine and a totaly different issue. I am not saying one is better than than other but they sure as heck are not "similar" in anythin but on paper hp rating.

Same with the m3 current V8 or the e60 m5 V10 compared to the new TT v8. Sure the new v8 makes more power but delivers it in a totally different way and they are nothing alike aside from both being in the 5-- hp range.
Appreciate 0