01-01-2013, 09:51 AM   #50
Luigi524TD
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 45e MSport

Detail question about BMW APPS vs BMW "Connected"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBry View Post
I have all three (BMW Apps option / My BMW Remote / BMW Connected). The remote app works perfectly with iOS 6. I tried it with my iPhone 4S (which I updated to iOS 6 the day the OS became available), and more recently with my new iPhone 5. I'm able to successfully unlock my car, flash my headlights, sound the horn, and send Map data directly to the car. It all works just as before.

The BMW Connected app works as well, with the exception of the "Plugin" capability. I'm able to view my calendar on iDrive, and perform a host of other functions (facebook, etc.). What I'm NOT able to do is get access to my "Genius" playlists or other direct iPod-out functionality since BMW doesn't support that capability via the new Lightning connector.
I am told that BMW Connected requires BMWs "Convenience" plan at an additional $199/yr (in addition to the 'free' BMW Assist plan that is bundled in a "new" BMW).

That said, I'm an Android phone user (Bionic w/ICS) and am also told that in order to make use of BMW APPS I must have an iPhone. [the BMW Apps option was included in the Tech pkg on my '13 535 xDrive]. All that and there is a 'rumor' that BMW may further extend its technology and enable Android phone users to utilize BMW APPS - but not until sometime in 2014. I guess all that engineering takes time .

Verizon would love to sell me an iPhone and even though I'm a stockholder in both companies I've just never warmed up to Apple products.

I'm open to words of advice / clarification / confirmation

BTW, I've been hanging out on the e60 Forum for years but now the '07 530xi has just been replaced by a '13 535xDrive
Appreciate 0