02-03-2013, 05:47 PM   #62
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep
Drives: i4 eDrive40 & Cupra Leon 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by mryakanisachoad View Post
When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

I'm no Ayn Rand groupie but this chick had you pegged easy.

Uh, deal with it.

And, it's a false choice if they punish you really hard for making the "wrong" choice. Deal with it.
Yes of course, I'd prefer an M5 over any specced 520d in a glance to have some quality time!

But we're with 7 billion (or something) people on this small planet. Mobility is a commodity, not an exclusivity to the happy few. So I guess we'll be able to afford expensive cars that don't emit more than a "normal" family car. In Belgium a 520d is just there, a 530d is already just over the mark, an M5 is just unacceptable. Our taxation system follows that, with an exponential correction of course.

I'd guess that the states are following within a few years. After all, we should get rid of our dependance of the middle-east and oil will not last forever either. Developing countries will explode needs for individual transportation and we'll have to pay the price.

PS, BMW will even have a 518d coming soon! I guess that it will cost me exactly as much as my 520d now in leasing! So be prepared to put your standards even lower soon.
Appreciate 0