View Single Post
      01-14-2011, 03:37 PM   #16
indus
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E60 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipso_facto View Post
Agreed. That percentage will only get higher in the UK, especially when, as is initimated in other threads that the twin turbo 2.0d will also be coming to the 5 series.

The stats of the F10 520d are amazing. What model of executive class car can boast that the smallest engine in the range will; (i) do 0-60mph in a little over 8 seconds and (ii) is capable of twice the legal UK motorway speed limit. The former I engage occasionally, the latter, I never want to test, as I like my driving licence, my job and not being heavily fined !! Oh yeah, it will do 550 to 600 miles on a tank too.

If you have plenty of spare cash, or an easy going attitude to credit, I can understand the appeal of the bigger engine models. I personally think that it's a case of "diminishing returns", in terms of pleasure, or in other words, I'm confident that I get as much pleasure out of my 520d as others with a 535d or 550. Just stating my personal feeling here, as "pleasure" is obviously a subjective emotion.

In regards fuel costs: the way I see it, there is only one direction. And that is upwards. I saw our prime minister on TV yesterday, he was empathising and sympathising with drivers fueling their cars (although he used the carefully chosen political euphemism "families", which makes his sentiments seem so much nicer ). But you know what, he commited absolutely nothing to address the rising fuel costs, which are two-thirds tax in the UK. I think this is going to be the future for other advanced economies in the not too distant future, especially those burdened with large national debt ratios that need to be "tackled" (I can use euphemisms too ).
Pleasure as you say is subjective. Though the majority of 5s sold will be a 520d I would never buy one. To me there is little pleasure driving such a slow car. To me its also not a case of diminishing returns either, a 520d may well be a nice car but a 535d is a different beast. 2.3 seconds faster to 60 is not a small amount.
For example the difference between a £60K Porsche and a £100k Porsche may only be 1.5 seconds.

Horses for courses and all that.....