MBrown1003
Eight Bimmers and counting
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soon ExAudi Guy View Post
This forum has been great so far.

After watching every You Tube video on the new 5, I took a 535i out last week, and today, the 550i and 535i out back to back. Amazing vehicles. I would certainly appreciate comments from those who considered both engines as to what was the tipping point. I find myself flipping and flopping at the moment, and want to place and order soon.

In my case, $ is not the concern. I found the 550i to be sublime, but perhaps "too much engine" if I am doing 90%+ of my driving in the city. I found the 535i to be easy to drive in the city (I did not have to ease back as often as the 550i which seems to want to go into orbit), but perhaps it needs a bit more "oomph". Another 50HP on that engine would make it perfect.

I have an Audi A6 4.2 V8 (335hp). I like the power for quick acceleration, and perhaps it just takes getting used to, but I found myself speeding all the time in the 550i and had to pull back. This could simply be what's normal when test piloting a new BMW.

Other considerations:

For the 5-6 snowfalls we receive per year, I am a touch concerned that the 550i, even with snow tires, might be tough to control.

Fuel economy -- I also have a Q7 that runs me $500 mth in fuel so I am not too worried, but it would be a shame to have to experience 20L/km in a car....if this is what I would expect from a 550i in the city.

Anyhow, your comments would be appreciated. What helped you decide on which engine to go with.

Cheers!
My current plan is to replace my E90 M3 sedan with a 550i when the lease ends. I gave the 535i some thought, too. Of course, I'm about a year away from ordering.

Personally, I'm a fan of torque, and I like the deep well of power available on the 550i. I don't think I can tell the difference in weight between the two cars. Take a couple of decent-sized friends along with you and the weight difference is moot.

As far as winter driving, I'd plan to put on four winter tires. Note, that's "WINTER tires", not "snow tires". In addition to the tread differences for ice / snow / slush, the rubber is very different. The summer tires that make my M3 such a delight make it a handful when the temperatures are approaching freezing. Acceleration, cornering, and braking are all compromised when the tires are cold. I have used winter tires on all of my BMWs (including 540i/6, M5, 335i coupe, M3 sedan), and the cars have been VERY stable. Even with 400 HP.
Fives: '11 F10 550i, '02 E39 M5, '00 E39 540i/6, '97 E39 528i, '92 E34 525i
Others: VW, MBz, Peugeot, Toyota, Olds
Appreciate 0