View Single Post
      09-14-2012, 06:27 PM   #1
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

ATTENTION - ACS Springs Front End Noise Issue FOUND & FIXED!

Hi all,

Those of you know i've been trying to figure out why my 535xi was making rattling noise right after i got the ACS springs installed. See thread here - http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=737677

After thinking about it and trying different things over the last couple of weeks I am 110% sure I figured out the source of the noise. I drove around after the fix and didn't hear the rattle once. I will continue to monitor this but I wanted to let everyone else know how to fix this asap because i know it was driving me insane having a brand new car with less than 600 miles on it rattle every time it went over bumps.

The Problem - The front springs top two coils are coming into contact with each other. When the car is on the ground the top two coils is right at the point where they are barely touching so when you are going over minor bumps they are clanking/vibrating on each other.

The Solution - Go to home depot and purchase a clear rubber hose. Cut out a small section and slice it right down the middle so you can slip it right over the spring. You want this on the second coil from top down. I then zip tied it so that the hose won't come loose over time. I did this on both front springs and it completely eliminated the front end rattle that i was hearing. You do not have to remove the front wheels to do this. You just need to jack up the side and you can reach in to insert the hose. The hose acts like a rubber cushion to prevent any metal to metal contact creating noise. I also sprayed the hose down with some dry silicone lubricant just incase it squeaked.

(keep in mind in this pic the car was jacked up)

Some springs actually comes with a rubber lining that prevents this very noise but my ACS springs did not. I am going to submit my findings to ACS Germany to see if they can offer us a more legitimate solution but my method works perfectly

This fixed the noise on my car and hopefully it will on yours but obviously there are no guarantees

Alan

Last edited by Alan l.; 09-19-2012 at 10:30 PM..
Appreciate 0