2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Will a LCI headrest fit into pre-LCI seat?

05-21-2024, 12:57 PM   #1
natesi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30

Will a LCI headrest fit into pre-LCI seat?

Howdy all,

Just got a 2011 pre-LCI F10 with the standard seats. Loving the car, BUT the headrest is pushing my head too far forward despite it being set all the way back. In my F30 I was able to bend the headrest posts just a bit -- but the F10 headrests work quite differently.

However, the LCI headrests look a simpler in design and would be easier to bend, I believe.

Does anyone know if I can stick a LCI headrest into a pre-LCI seat? I'm guessing if the distance between the posts are the same it will work? Could someone measure the distance between the posts, like I've done here?

One other question: The pre-LCI headrest has an active head restraint with an electrical wire coming out of the seat post (see links to examples). Whereas the LCI headrest doesn't use an active restraint system at all.

If I am able to get a pre-LCI headrest to physically work would it throw a light on the dash since the active head restraint is missing? If so, could that be coded out?

Thanks! I want to keep the car, but if I can't modify the seat I'll have to sell it -- will be a deal breaker.

Obviously I could try to retrofit the 20-way seats, but with the cost I see those going for, it makes more financial sense to get a whole different vehicle. Unless, that is, someone has a secret to finding them cheap?

Thanks!

Pre-LCI headrest (example):
https://www.ebay.com/itm/126322560622

LCI headrest (example):
https://www.ebay.com/itm/334823190708
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2024, 08:39 AM   #2
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Pre LCI

LCI (active head restraint)

When the Crash Active head restraint module or MRS control unit transmits a trigger signal, the Crash Active head restraint deploys as follows:
  • The ignition squib in the pyrotechnic component ignites the propellant charge. The pyrotechnic component contains the ignition squib and propellant charge (designation in the wiring diagram: "Alternator active head restraint front left" and "Alternator active head restraint front right").
  • The propellant charge drives a pin. The pin presses onto a release plate.
  • When the release plate shifts, the preloaded springs are triggered. The spring force moves the front section of the head restraint forward and upward.

Index Explanation
1 Front section of the head restraint
2 Springs
3 Release plate
4 Head restraint support
5 Bracket for mounting the head restraint support
6 Holder for the pyrotechnic component
7 Pyrotechnic component (contains ignition squib and propellant charge)
8 Linkage for the head restraint adjustment
9 Button for setting the head restraint (depth adjustment)
10 Mechanical system for motion of the head restraint in a triggering process
11 Pin (Crash Active head restraint triggered)

Note: Deativating the Crash Active head restraint with the passenger airbag deactivation feature

If SA470 "ISOFIX child-restraint mountings" or SA5DA "front passenger airbag deactivation" is installed it will be possible to deactivate the airbags and the Crash Active head restraints on the passenger side. The switch setting is selected using the integral code in the remote-control unit or the ID transmitter.

In the switch position "OFF", the following airbags on the passenger's side are not inflated:
  • Front passenger airbag
  • Side airbag
  • Crash-active head restraint
  • Knee airbag (if present)

The indicator lamp for front-passenger airbag deactivation lights up.

ACSM or MRS: Crash safety module / multiple restraint system

The crash safety module or multiple restraint system has the following tasks:
  • Detecting an accident situation that is critical for the occupants
  • Activating the necessary restraint systems (selectively depending on the severity of the accident and accident type)
All gas generators, pyrotechnic components and sensors are connected directly to the crash safety module or MRS control unit. The crash safety module or MRS control unit evaluates the data of the sensors. In the case of a crash, the crash safety module or MRS control unit decides whether it is necessary to trigger the seat belt tensioner and airbags and what airbags need to be deployed. The crash safety module or MRS control unit also triggers the Crash Active head restraints.

Index Explanation
1 Crash-active head restraint, front left (designation in the wiring diagram: Alternator, front left active head restraint)
2 Crash safety module (ACSM: Advanced Crash Safety Module) or MRS control unit (MRS: multiple restraint system).
3 Crash-active head restraint, front right (designation in the wiring diagram: Alternator, front right active head restraint

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 05-22-2024 at 09:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2024, 09:43 AM   #3
natesi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30

Interesting idea. But every LCI VIN I put into either site keeps giving me the comfort seat headrest diagram.

Strange.

If someone could just measure their LCI seat posts that would help a lot (for the standard seats).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0