2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
 

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Would BMW consider fixing the throttle response lag on F10's
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-16-2012, 07:41 PM   #23
heffs550
Registered
 
Drives: 550i M-Sport
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: United States

Posts: 2
iTrader: (0)

Maybe this is a silly question, but are all of you guys using premium (93 octane)? I notice a dramatic difference in throttle response if I fill up with mid-grade 89. With premium there's much less delay.
heffs550 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-16-2012, 07:55 PM   #24
jnkirk1974
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 BMW 550i (F10)
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Rockwall, Texas

Posts: 295
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 BMW M6 Coupe  [2.50]
2011 BMW 550i  [0.00]
I only use premium fuel. However, I'm still really confused with what people are calling "delay". In sport mode, I get ZERO delay. Instant power. Normal and comfort modes have a little more relaxed throttle response.

So, if there is a desire for quick throttle response......sport and sport+ are the way to go.
__________________
Current: 2014 BMW M6 Saphire Black, Eisenmann Race Exhaust (axle-back)
Previous: 2011 BMW 550i M-Sport, Carbon Black, Dinan Stage 3, Meisterschaft GTC Exhaust
jnkirk1974 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-16-2012, 10:27 PM   #25
Klecha man
Private First Class
 
Klecha man's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 535
Join Date: May 2012
Location: United States

Posts: 196
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
This is how my 2013 535 behaves... Sport/Sport+ combined with the Sports Auto Transmission in Sport mode = IMMEDIATE TAKE OFF AND THROTTLE RESPONSE.

Alan
I tried that and I'm not seeing a diff...interesting you feel the instant response. My take on this is unless you power brake the car,there will always be a lag until the rpms hit about 3k which is when the turbo truly kicks in.

Btw, do you have any tunes installed?
Klecha man is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-16-2012, 10:51 PM   #26
Alan l.
Brigadier General
 
Alan l.'s Avatar
 
Drives: LCI M-Sport 550i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: East Coast

Posts: 4,419
iTrader: (8)

No tune yet.

All turbo cars have some lag and it's just the nature of them. It is barely noticeable on my 335 and now f10.

Maybe you have too high of an expectation for the 535? Turbos just won't ever feel like a NA car if that's what you are after. Even the mighty M5 has some lag according to reviews.

Alan
__________________

2014 LCI 550i M Sport | 3D Design Front Spoiler | BMW Performance Black Grills | BMW Performance Trunk Lip | BMW Performance Diffuser | Painted Reflectors | Wincos 30% Tint | Supersprint Exhaust | ACSSprings | MORR VS8.2 Rims 20x10R and 20x9F | Michelin PSS Tires |||More Photos of my car here|||
Alan l. is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-17-2012, 06:27 AM   #27
jnkirk1974
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 BMW 550i (F10)
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Rockwall, Texas

Posts: 295
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 BMW M6 Coupe  [2.50]
2011 BMW 550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klecha man View Post
I tried that and I'm not seeing a diff...interesting you feel the instant response. My take on this is unless you power brake the car,there will always be a lag until the rpms hit about 3k which is when the turbo truly kicks in.

Btw, do you have any tunes installed?
Okay, are you talking about throttle response or turbo lag? There appears to be two different discussions here........
__________________
Current: 2014 BMW M6 Saphire Black, Eisenmann Race Exhaust (axle-back)
Previous: 2011 BMW 550i M-Sport, Carbon Black, Dinan Stage 3, Meisterschaft GTC Exhaust
jnkirk1974 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-17-2012, 08:55 AM   #28
RambleJ
Colonel
 
RambleJ's Avatar
 
Drives: F10 535i M-sport
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Back in teh so cal

Posts: 2,013
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnkirk1974 View Post
Okay, are you talking about throttle response or turbo lag? There appears to be two different discussions here........
If its throttle lag that people have they may want to reset their tranny adaptation. People seem to baby their cars too much when they first get them and the car adapts to that driving style.

Not too sure if this works on the f10's but for the previous models. Putting the "on" state ( ignition pressed, but engine not on ) hold the accelerator down for 30 seconds, release. Start the car and your it should be back to fresh and relearn the new driving style.
RambleJ is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      09-17-2012, 09:36 AM   #29
jnkirk1974
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 BMW 550i (F10)
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Rockwall, Texas

Posts: 295
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 BMW M6 Coupe  [2.50]
2011 BMW 550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RambleJ View Post
If its throttle lag that people have they may want to reset their tranny adaptation. People seem to baby their cars too much when they first get them and the car adapts to that driving style.

Not too sure if this works on the f10's but for the previous models. Putting the "on" state ( ignition pressed, but engine not on ) hold the accelerator down for 30 seconds, release. Start the car and your it should be back to fresh and relearn the new driving style.
I do this every so often. However, my car has never had issues with a lack of throttle response. Mine is great!

I think some people are talking about throttle response and some people are talking about turbo lag.

Either way, my car has none of the above. Mine is just fine........
__________________
Current: 2014 BMW M6 Saphire Black, Eisenmann Race Exhaust (axle-back)
Previous: 2011 BMW 550i M-Sport, Carbon Black, Dinan Stage 3, Meisterschaft GTC Exhaust
jnkirk1974 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-17-2012, 09:51 AM   #30
RambleJ
Colonel
 
RambleJ's Avatar
 
Drives: F10 535i M-sport
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Back in teh so cal

Posts: 2,013
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnkirk1974 View Post
I do this every so often. However, my car has never had issues with a lack of throttle response. Mine is great!

I think some people are talking about throttle response and some people are talking about turbo lag.

Either way, my car has none of the above. Mine is just fine........
I never have had any of these issues either. But then again I break my cars in like a champ.
RambleJ is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      09-17-2012, 12:21 PM   #31
Klecha man
Private First Class
 
Klecha man's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 535
Join Date: May 2012
Location: United States

Posts: 196
iTrader: (1)

I guess I should have been more clear. I'm not really worried about the turbo lag... It's more of a throttle response time than anything else. Regardless of which mode I'm in and I've tried all various options, off the line take off is always about 1 +/- second lag before the car actually takes off.

I also think this issue is specific to the 535 (not 550, 335, 135). I drove a 135 a few weeks back and did not notice this issue at all.
Klecha man is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-17-2012, 12:37 PM   #32
jnkirk1974
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 BMW 550i (F10)
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Rockwall, Texas

Posts: 295
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 BMW M6 Coupe  [2.50]
2011 BMW 550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klecha man View Post
I guess I should have been more clear. I'm not really worried about the turbo lag... It's more of a throttle response time than anything else. Regardless of which mode I'm in and I've tried all various options, off the line take off is always about 1 +/- second lag before the car actually takes off.

I also think this issue is specific to the 535 (not 550, 335, 135). I drove a 135 a few weeks back and did not notice this issue at all.
Have you tried resetting the transmission? Turning the car on (don't start the engine), hold the gas pedal down for 30-40 seconds, turn car off, restart the car.

It was mentioned above.
__________________
Current: 2014 BMW M6 Saphire Black, Eisenmann Race Exhaust (axle-back)
Previous: 2011 BMW 550i M-Sport, Carbon Black, Dinan Stage 3, Meisterschaft GTC Exhaust
jnkirk1974 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-17-2012, 01:27 PM   #33
Klecha man
Private First Class
 
Klecha man's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 535
Join Date: May 2012
Location: United States

Posts: 196
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnkirk1974 View Post
Have you tried resetting the transmission? Turning the car on (don't start the engine), hold the gas pedal down for 30-40 seconds, turn car off, restart the car.

It was mentioned above.
no I have not... I'll try that today and see how it will behaves. Thx for the hint.
Klecha man is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-17-2012, 07:59 PM   #34
Douggie
Private
 
Drives: BMW X1, 5
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Asia

Posts: 63
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnkirk1974 View Post
Have you tried resetting the transmission? Turning the car on (don't start the engine), hold the gas pedal down for 30-40 seconds, turn car off, restart the car.

It was mentioned above.
This method only fixes it temporarily. The lag will return in 1-2 weeks.

Definitely a software/firmware issue. Like all modern machines, software is key.
Douggie is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-17-2012, 09:09 PM   #35
jnkirk1974
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 BMW 550i (F10)
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Rockwall, Texas

Posts: 295
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 BMW M6 Coupe  [2.50]
2011 BMW 550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douggie View Post
This method only fixes it temporarily. The lag will return in 1-2 weeks.

Definitely a software/firmware issue. Like all modern machines, software is key.
Well, I'm running the Dinan Stage 3 tuning, so software is certainly helping me.

However, if you have to do the process ever 1-2 weeks, it's only 30-40 seconds. Not too bad.
__________________
Current: 2014 BMW M6 Saphire Black, Eisenmann Race Exhaust (axle-back)
Previous: 2011 BMW 550i M-Sport, Carbon Black, Dinan Stage 3, Meisterschaft GTC Exhaust
jnkirk1974 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-18-2012, 05:43 AM   #36
Douggie
Private
 
Drives: BMW X1, 5
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Asia

Posts: 63
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnkirk1974 View Post
However, if you have to do the process ever 1-2 weeks, it's only 30-40 seconds. Not too bad.
Yeah, I've pretty much accepted the fact that my 2012 "Ultimate driving machine" is similar to my PC that I had almost 20 years ago that was running windows 3.x. The PC would get slower and slower over time and would not be quick again until I rebooted it or eventually re-format the whole system.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=617154

Last edited by Douggie; 09-18-2012 at 07:51 AM.
Douggie is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-18-2012, 09:17 AM   #37
jnkirk1974
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 BMW 550i (F10)
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Rockwall, Texas

Posts: 295
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 BMW M6 Coupe  [2.50]
2011 BMW 550i  [0.00]
If this truly is a problem with these models, I'm assuming that my Dinan software is preventing me from having the same issue? I have immediate response. It's a rocket!
__________________
Current: 2014 BMW M6 Saphire Black, Eisenmann Race Exhaust (axle-back)
Previous: 2011 BMW 550i M-Sport, Carbon Black, Dinan Stage 3, Meisterschaft GTC Exhaust
jnkirk1974 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-20-2012, 10:04 PM   #38
Douggie
Private
 
Drives: BMW X1, 5
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Asia

Posts: 63
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnkirk1974 View Post
If this truly is a problem with these models, I'm assuming that my Dinan software is preventing me from having the same issue? I have immediate response. It's a rocket!
Yes, it is pretty certain that your Dinan software includes a throttle map that overrides the stock throttle map and is also tuned for quick response. There is no point tuning for higher horsepower if there is the throttle delay. The lag would become more obvious.
Douggie is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-06-2012, 11:05 AM   #39
528imsport
Major
 
528imsport's Avatar
 
Drives: Msport
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: uk

Posts: 1,196
iTrader: (0)

Has any 1 tried the SBv2 on a F10 to stop the lag?
528imsport is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      12-19-2012, 02:06 AM   #40
Douggie
Private
 
Drives: BMW X1, 5
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Asia

Posts: 63
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_528i View Post
Has any 1 tried the SBv2 on a F10 to stop the lag?
Yes, I've tried the Sprint Booster on my F10. The response is much better now.
Douggie is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-22-2012, 01:13 PM   #41
MWPos
First Lieutenant
 
MWPos's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 535i, SG
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: San Diego, CA

Posts: 382
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [3.90]
My local dealership accepted my rather vague complaint of rough idle and throttle delay and, without question or delay, updated the software. I had tried the adaptive parameter reset as mentioned above and the software update makes the car drive better, at first impression, than the reset did three weeks ago. The SA who gave my car back to me this morning said that this is a known problem on the first F10s.
Attached Images
 
MWPos is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-22-2012, 01:38 PM   #42
RambleJ
Colonel
 
RambleJ's Avatar
 
Drives: F10 535i M-sport
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Back in teh so cal

Posts: 2,013
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWPos View Post
My local dealership accepted my rather vague complaint of rough idle and throttle delay and, without question or delay, updated the software. I had tried the adaptive parameter reset as mentioned above and the software update makes the car drive better, at first impression, than the reset did three weeks ago. The SA who gave my car back to me this morning said that this is a known problem on the first F10s.
But if you continue to drive like a grandma. The car will adjust to that again and your throttle response will suffer.
So might as well on a regular basis give that gas pedal some love
RambleJ is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      12-22-2012, 09:04 PM   #43
MWPos
First Lieutenant
 
MWPos's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 535i, SG
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: San Diego, CA

Posts: 382
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [3.90]
Excellent point, and I am proud to say that I am not the car's first owner. The grandma was the first owner, and now there's a new sherrif in town

And for when my Puerto Rican wife drives the car, I have a special placard that I put on the rear bumper that reads "zero-to-school in 60 seconds". The car is now being driven the way it's meant to be.
MWPos is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-22-2012, 09:51 PM   #44
Rbembas_M3
First Lieutenant
 
Rbembas_M3's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 2011 M3
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: BUFORD GA

Posts: 399
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWPos View Post
Excellent point, and I am proud to say that I am not the car's first owner. The grandma was the first owner, and now there's a new sherrif in town

And for when my Puerto Rican wife drives the car, I have a special placard that I put on the rear bumper that reads "zero-to-school in 60 seconds". The car is now being driven the way it's meant to be.
My soon to be Puerto Rican wife can't drive my 535i 6MT and when I pop the clutch at 6000 it scare the shit out of her. I've told her I would teach her how to drive a MT
All kidding aside my problem is shifting into second there is throttle delay and some times the DTC kicks in? And yes I'm in sport mode. I'm taking my car in after Christmas I shouldn't be loosing two to three seconds. I've done the reset and to be honest haven't noticed any change in throttle response, about the same two to three seconds.
Rbembas_M3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:28 PM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST