2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
 

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes F11 Brake upgrade
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-01-2011, 09:53 AM   #1
lodewijkV
Private
 
lodewijkV's Avatar
 
Drives: Snowwhite
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Belgium

Posts: 61
iTrader: (0)

F11 Brake upgrade

Driving the 530d for a few weeks now, I'm verry happy about it.
Performance is good, but soon it will be chiptuned so I have around 290hp and almost 600 Nm of torque .

The only thing it "needs" are better brakes, the OEM ones aren't bad.
But when I do some heavy braking, they tend to "fade" pretty quickly.

Has anyone got some tips about an upgrade?
I'm thinking to go for a Brembo front brake upgrade (discs and callipers, or only discs?).
lodewijkV is offline   Belgium
0
Reply With Quote
      05-01-2011, 10:37 AM   #2
delvek
Major
 
delvek's Avatar
 
Drives: F10 550i Msport
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Rhineland, Germany

Posts: 1,130
iTrader: (0)

ACSchnitzer has a brake upgrade, but its a distinct sacrifice in ride comfort (pulsating, etc) they are racing grade, also cost about 5k Eur.

290hp is nice but do you think you will need a brake upgrade. I will be changing the ECU when ACSchnitzer releases one for the 550 which will be close to 500hp and well over 700Nm, I plan on keeping the same brakes personally. Fact is, 260kmh is 260kmh whether I have 410hp or 500hp, requires same braking.

Good luck with the mods, I am waiting on the ACSchnitzer springs and exhaust to arrive at my dealer for installation this month, keep us updated on your mods and your impressions!
__________________
2011 550i M-sport:Mods: Hartge ECU (490hp/497ps@5500rp 531ft-lb/720Nm@2000rpm), ACSchnitzer suspension, ACSchnitzer sport exhaust, Msport Spoiler, Shadowline Grille, Color matched front reflectors, dvdinmotion. MyBavarianBeast: http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=530637
Future: 2014 F82 M4
delvek is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      05-01-2011, 12:07 PM   #3
Needsdecaf
Everything's Bigger in Texas!
 
Drives: Porsche Tractor
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: The Woodlands, TX

Posts: 1,796
iTrader: (0)

Likely a set of upgraded pads and some additional brake cooling will be very effective at a much lower cost than an entire replacement setup.
Needsdecaf is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-01-2011, 04:41 PM   #4
lodewijkV
Private
 
lodewijkV's Avatar
 
Drives: Snowwhite
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Belgium

Posts: 61
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by delvek View Post
ACSchnitzer has a brake upgrade, but its a distinct sacrifice in ride comfort (pulsating, etc) they are racing grade, also cost about 5k Eur.

290hp is nice but do you think you will need a brake upgrade. I will be changing the ECU when ACSchnitzer releases one for the 550 which will be close to 500hp and well over 700Nm, I plan on keeping the same brakes personally. Fact is, 260kmh is 260kmh whether I have 410hp or 500hp, requires same braking.

Good luck with the mods, I am waiting on the ACSchnitzer springs and exhaust to arrive at my dealer for installation this month, keep us updated on your mods and your impressions!
I think I need it yes -)).

I like some good cornering and braking (not really the straight line guy xD).
My home is close to the Port of Antwerp, and in the weekends the streets there are awesome to drive.
When I drove there for the first time, I discovered that the brake's aren't fantastic.

I'll sertenly keep you up to date if :-)!

Congrats on your 550, I'm so jealous!
That's the thing I really mis in my car. The sound of a nice V8.
I would go for an Eisenmann exhaust if there is one for the 550. They rule!
lodewijkV is offline   Belgium
0
Reply With Quote
      05-01-2011, 04:42 PM   #5
lodewijkV
Private
 
lodewijkV's Avatar
 
Drives: Snowwhite
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Belgium

Posts: 61
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Likely a set of upgraded pads and some additional brake cooling will be very effective at a much lower cost than an entire replacement setup.
Yes indeed!
But I don't know a manufacturer yet xD.

Have any ideas?

Last edited by lodewijkV; 05-02-2011 at 12:39 AM.
lodewijkV is offline   Belgium
0
Reply With Quote
      06-05-2011, 01:47 AM   #6
414M3
Private
 
414M3's Avatar
 
Drives: F10 550xi, E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Seattle

Posts: 55
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by delvek View Post
ACSchnitzer has a brake upgrade, but its a distinct sacrifice in ride comfort (pulsating, etc) they are racing grade, also cost about 5k Eur.

290hp is nice but do you think you will need a brake upgrade. I will be changing the ECU when ACSchnitzer releases one for the 550 which will be close to 500hp and well over 700Nm, I plan on keeping the same brakes personally. Fact is, 260kmh is 260kmh whether I have 410hp or 500hp, requires same braking.

Good luck with the mods, I am waiting on the ACSchnitzer springs and exhaust to arrive at my dealer for installation this month, keep us updated on your mods and your impressions!
don't forget the fact that the 550i has bigger brakes than the other f10 models
414M3 is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-05-2011, 07:32 AM   #7
lodewijkV
Private
 
lodewijkV's Avatar
 
Drives: Snowwhite
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Belgium

Posts: 61
iTrader: (0)

I did find a brake upgrade!
It's a Brembo GT brake upgrade kit, but brembo say's that they only have the kit for models 528i and 535i.

So they told me that they didn't know if it would fit my 530d because it wasn't tested yet.

So I went on a little search and I did find out that brakes on the models: 520d, 525d, 530d, 523i, 528i (touring and sedan) are all the same.
And brakes for the 535d, 535i and 550i (touring and sedan) are also the same.

I've got a price by e-mail, it was:
2512,50 for 6-piston callipers and 365 x 34 mm disc's ($ 3675)
3037,50 for 6-piston callipers and 405 x 34 mm disc's ($ 4442)
Excl. VAT!

I'll let you guys know what I'm going to decide and I will try to find part numbers -)).
lodewijkV is offline   Belgium
0
Reply With Quote
      06-05-2011, 10:18 AM   #8
remmib
General
 
remmib's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Norway

Posts: 26,080
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodewijkV View Post
So I went on a little search and I did find out that brakes on the models: 520d, 525d, 530d, 523i, 528i (touring and sedan) are all the same.
And brakes for the 535d, 535i and 550i (touring and sedan) are also the same.

I've got a price by e-mail, it was:
2512,50 for 6-piston callipers and 365 x 34 mm disc's ($ 3675)
3037,50 for 6-piston callipers and 405 x 34 mm disc's ($ 4442)
Excl. VAT!

I'll let you guys know what I'm going to decide and I will try to find part numbers -)).
According to this,
http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=324662
the brakes for the 520d, 525d, 530d and 523i are the same, F:330x24/R:330x20.
While the 528i has F:348x30/R:330x20,
and the 535i has F:348x36/R:345x24,
and the 550i has F:374x36/R:345x24.

No numbers for the 535d.
__________________

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3D Design Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
remmib is offline   Norway
0
Reply With Quote
      06-05-2011, 11:32 AM   #9
EV0LVE
Captain
 
EV0LVE's Avatar
 
Drives: F10 535i SG
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: So Cal

Posts: 683
iTrader: (1)

78MAO might be able to give you feedback on the brembos, he's got them on his car, front only, because the rear will disconnect the electonic e-brake.
EV0LVE is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-05-2011, 04:51 PM   #10
lodewijkV
Private
 
lodewijkV's Avatar
 
Drives: Snowwhite
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Belgium

Posts: 61
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EV0LVE View Post
78MAO might be able to give you feedback on the brembos, he's got them on his car, front only, because the rear will disconnect the electonic e-brake.
Thanks, I'll pm him -))

But I'm only going to change the front ones, not on the rear.
Because it's like you say, the e-brake won't function anymore..
lodewijkV is offline   Belgium
0
Reply With Quote
      06-05-2011, 04:54 PM   #11
lodewijkV
Private
 
lodewijkV's Avatar
 
Drives: Snowwhite
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Belgium

Posts: 61
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmib View Post
According to this,
http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=324662
the brakes for the 520d, 525d, 530d and 523i are the same, F:330x24/R:330x20.
While the 528i has F:348x30/R:330x20,
and the 535i has F:348x36/R:345x24,
and the 550i has F:374x36/R:345x24.

No numbers for the 535d.
That's weird, because I looked it up on RealOEM.com and compared some part numbers.
That's how I discovered it (see printscreen, I'm sorry it's in dutch xD).
Attached Images
 
lodewijkV is offline   Belgium
0
Reply With Quote
      06-05-2011, 05:30 PM   #12
78mao
Major
 
78mao's Avatar
 
Drives: F10, F13, F80 en route to US
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Socal/Irvine

Posts: 1,013
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2015 M3 BMW M3  [0.00]
im running the brembo GT kit 6 pot front 405mm/16inch slotted rotors.

we got it on right away after i got the car for SEMA

i didnt get to drive on the stock brakes for long, but other members after driving it felt the difference right away. i do come to realize that i dont step on the brake as hard when coming to a full stop, so definately there is a big difference. the other reason i cant really compare is because i also had full bbk on my last car as well.

I am pretty sure brembo does have a kit for 550, the kit the 550 use is the same as the 750 when i spoke to them when they did testing on my 535
__________________

thanks to www.lmted.com
78mao is offline   Taiwan
0
Reply With Quote
      06-06-2011, 02:03 AM   #13
jaekeem
BMW Noobie
 
jaekeem's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 535i 2011
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Socal, USA

Posts: 309
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78mao View Post
im running the brembo GT kit 6 pot front 405mm/16inch slotted rotors.

we got it on right away after i got the car for SEMA

i didnt get to drive on the stock brakes for long, but other members after driving it felt the difference right away. i do come to realize that i dont step on the brake as hard when coming to a full stop, so definately there is a big difference. the other reason i cant really compare is because i also had full bbk on my last car as well.

I am pretty sure brembo does have a kit for 550, the kit the 550 use is the same as the 750 when i spoke to them when they did testing on my 535
I agree I had a chance to drive 78mao's car around and the brakes are a noticeable upgrade. Slight tap on the brakes and the car comes to a stop very quickly.
__________________


2011 F10 535i | Build Thread | Power Mods & Dynos
jaekeem is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-13-2011, 09:24 PM   #14
mrbenyong
Trying to make the best of the 325
 
Drives: F10 535i 2010
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Malaysia

Posts: 63
iTrader: (0)

Did you have to sacrifice brake pad sensors for brembo upgrades? I know that this is a problem for many cars, Including bmw.
mrbenyong is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-14-2011, 03:00 AM   #15
78mao
Major
 
78mao's Avatar
 
Drives: F10, F13, F80 en route to US
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Socal/Irvine

Posts: 1,013
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2015 M3 BMW M3  [0.00]
everything still works no sacrifices for brake pad sensors.
__________________

thanks to www.lmted.com
78mao is offline   Taiwan
0
Reply With Quote
      08-15-2011, 04:57 AM   #16
mrbenyong
Trying to make the best of the 325
 
Drives: F10 535i 2010
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Malaysia

Posts: 63
iTrader: (0)

78 Mao thanks for the info, I can't wait to do an upgrade. (once the warranty finishes) . I really find the break , wheel , suspension not catered for sport so all these got to be changed!
mrbenyong is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-15-2011, 04:58 AM   #17
mrbenyong
Trying to make the best of the 325
 
Drives: F10 535i 2010
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Malaysia

Posts: 63
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78mao View Post
everything still works no sacrifices for brake pad sensors.
U got a pic of ur brakes ?
mrbenyong is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-22-2012, 11:18 PM   #18
polarbeargio
Registered
 
Drives: F10 535i
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: china

Posts: 1
iTrader: (0)

has anyone tried factory F10 M5 brake kit(front and rear) for other F10 models?
i've been told that due to the electronic hand brake system, rear brake cannot be changed, but it should be ok to swap to a M5 rear brake, right?
polarbeargio is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-29-2012, 09:34 PM   #19
aus
Major General
 
Drives: Odysse
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Seal Beach, CA

Posts: 7,320
iTrader: (5)

You guys do realize any brake feel difference between a BBK and stock brakes will be due to pad differences at normal street driving speeds???

The advantage of a BBK is the increased thermal capacity and fixed caliper, but that really won't be felt until you really get on them repeatedly. The stock brakes will likely get cooked easily on a track. Not sure why Brembo doesn't offer a 380mm kit instead of the 365 kit??? I'm guessing most owners with a BBK will have at least 19" wheels.

.
__________________
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
aus is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-13-2012, 03:04 AM   #20
Cpluse2
New Member
 
Drives: BMW 2010 535i
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Dallas TX

Posts: 14
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
I'm guessing most owners with a BBK will have at least 19" wheels.

.
Really

The BBK does not support a 18' wheel?
Cpluse2 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-13-2012, 12:47 PM   #21
aus
Major General
 
Drives: Odysse
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Seal Beach, CA

Posts: 7,320
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpluse2 View Post
Really

The BBK does not support a 18' wheel?
There are only a handful if wheels that will support a 380mm BBK, particularly the Brembo kit, which is larger than the StopTech kit.
VOLK will work, along with the new APEX EC7 wheel. Some CCW's will work too.
__________________
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
aus is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:12 PM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST